requeening with Russians

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

requeening with Russians

Post by Kurt Bower »

Just introduce 6 Russians into existing colonies. I removed the attendants as usual and left them caged. After 7 days, I went in and did a direct release. I did not experience any agressiveness by the workers and all queens simply walked out and down in.
I am quite satisfied and look foraward to seeing if these colonies can go without treatment. I will keep doing IPM's and post back as time goes on.

Kurt
Wally
Guard bee

requeening with Russians

Post by Wally »

Kurt, Will you be fogging with the russians? If so, please compare the results, rather than just saying how the russians are doing, since we don't know how your prior queens were doing. We need to know the difference.
Thanks
Wally
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Up until this point I have been very skeptical of Russians. I am now at a point (approx 30 hives) that I can afford to do some testing and comparisons.
My goal is to not use FGMO, which has been my stand alone treatment for the last 4 years. My understanding is that many have used Russians for approximately the same period and have not treated with great success. Russians are supposed to have a similar temperment as other European bees. They also fly earlier and in more inclement weather and the honey production is similar if not more than of the other honeybee races.
While I do not consider FGMO and thymol a burden, I feel that we should do what we can to relieve ourselves of chemicals and allow the bees to flesh things out for themselves. It has been stated that if not for man's intervention, that honeybees would have already taken care of the mites in their own way.
I will keep everyone posted as to the reults.

Kurt
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Post by No=-Bee's »

Kurt,

How did these bees do over the winter, and what have they done this year with the honey flow. I have asked Wally about them, and as you know he does not really have a preference to the bee bread, but to the bee alone. It makes sense to me if you can get any bread of honey bee to become more mite resistant. Wally taking me into the hives the other day has really got me in the mood for bees now. I really did enjoy that, and if it works out, I would like to help him get the bees in the motel.

Hope you had a good turn out at the Farmers Market today.
Ron, "Now with bees"
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Truthfully, I had a really lousy winter and do not think that the Russians did any better than the rest.
I came through with only about 15 hives and now have around 40. I split to prevent swarming and bought a few. Caught a swarm or two as well.
At this point in the game I am unable to really assess the Russians as I had hoped. I am piece meal for the most part snd buy queens from whom I can, when I can. I now have Carniolans, Russians, Minnesota Hygenics, Italians as well as mongrels.
I did not have the best honey crop locally due to some European foulbrood issues. My bees in Virginia seem to be doing the best.

Had a pretty good day at the market. Slow but consistent. Have I met you there before?

Kurt

Post by Guest »

Not sure if we have ever met. I came to a beekeepers meeting about three or four years ago, with the intent of getting bees then. However, I did not due to my wife and I going through the adoption process for our baby girl. We may have met then but I am not sure. I saw on you web page that you were going to be at the FM.

Do you know if there will be a beginners class next January? I know that I would like to take it, however my schedule will not allow me to attend all of the classes, unless I can make other arrangments.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

We will continue to hold beginner classes until no one shows up anymore. Last years class yielded 35+ students.
The class will start in February as usual and finish in March. Hope to see you there.

Kurt
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Post by No=-Bee's »

How prevalent or common is European or American Foul Brood in this area?

Is Septembers Meeting going to be as usual? I am actually off and plan to come by.
Ron, "Now with bees"