Think I lost my Hive

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

dfain

Think I lost my Hive

Post by dfain »

:cry: :cry: Think my hive is gone, dead bees all over the bottom. So depressed!!!!!!!!!!!
Danielle
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Are you sure the hive is dead?
We all have dead bees on the bottom board that does not mean the hive is dead.
Maybe they are just waiting for a warm day to start flying.
I would not disassemble the hive yet.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Put your ear to the side of the hive and see if you hear buzzing. If not, keep your ear on the hive and knock on the hive a couple of times. If bees are in there that will normally cause them to get louder. If you don't hear anything you may want to look into the hive tomorrow or Friday when the temperatures are above 50 degrees. If you have a deadout examine the comb carefully for disease issues and if it looks o.k., take steps to protect your drawn comb so that your new bees will not have to draw out any more comb than necessary.

Good luck.

Rob
dfain

Post by dfain »

:( no noise at all, I'll check tomorrow
Danielle
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

I would repeat the ear to the hive test changing sides, the cluster maybe on the opposite side..

I would check the entrance and make sure it's not blocked by dead bees.
If it is blocked, I would use something (a small stick) and gently,
(so I don't harm any live bees that might be near the inside of the opening)
remove the dead bees blocking the hive entrance.
It will be warm enough Thurs. for some cleansing flights so I would check for activity at the entrance.
If there's none, I would consider going in the hive.

I like this quote....

"There are a few rules of thumb that are useful guides.
One is that when you are confronted with some problem in the apiary
and you do not know what to do, then do nothing.
Matters are seldom made worse by doing nothing and are often made much worse by inept intervention."
----The How-To-Do-It book of Beekeeping, Richard Taylor ----
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Norma :)
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Defain,
The post below was posted by someone in Pennsylvania, it has been COOOOOLD up there. So I am betting they are still alive well at least hoping.
Ski

I can confirm that they may not be dead. Yesterday, I listened with a stethoscope and heard nothing.

Today, I looked in with a super bright flashlight and I can see them moving and just barely. I even gave them several raps on the hive and did not hear anything. But one little girl decided to investigate.

So I am satisfied that the girls in my backyard are going to make it. I even had SBB on them and it tells me that as long as they have adequate foodstores with a large enough cluster and moisture is kept away from them that they will make it. I was amazed how much food is above them yet.
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

dfain,
That makes two of us,
I'm betting/hoping your girls are still alive!
Please, keep us informed!
Doug Shaw
Nursebee

Lost one of Mine for Sure

Post by Doug Shaw »

Can't believe it lost a hive to starvation at least that is what I think happened. They had a full super of honey above them. Many bees head down in the comb in the super below. Thousands of them dead in the cluster. Not sure why they did not move up to abundant stores above other than it was too cold. Other hive is doing great and they should now have plenty of honey for the rest of the winter. Maybe I should have put the full super below the partial filled super last fall. This was my strong hive and I had not been feeding it this winter because the hive was heavy with honey and still is.
dfain

Yep its gone

Post by dfain »

Had to check today. All bees dead except maybe 30-50. Comb looks kind of grey...did they freeze?
Danielle
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Dfain,
Sorry you lost the hive.
Did you have an upper entrance or upper ventilation for the moisture to escape? Gray comb could be from damp conditions and wet bees will freeze.

Doug,
Sorry you lost a hive as well, from what I have read heads in the cells means starvation. Maybe someone else will have some other ideas what could have caused the winter loss.
dfain

Post by dfain »

I bet that's what it was Ski, I wrapped them for fear of the cold, bet there wasn't enough ventilation. Boy now I see why you all said start with 2 hives! How depressing. Not giving up though. Doug thanks for you advice and all of your support!
Danielle
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

dfain,

Sorry that you lost your hive. Last Winter I had a couple of losses with a small cluster of bees and plenty of stores. Although I had done varroa mite checks, circumstances prevented me from treating until very late in the Fall. I think too many of the late Fall adult bees and too many of the few newly developing bees were compromised by viruses the mites carry and the hive dwindled to a size that could not maintain heat. Did you do mite counts? Did you see signs of deformed wing virus (shriveled wings) on bees crawling in front of the hive in warmer weather or dead in front of the hive in colder weather? Losing hives is not fun. Trying to figure out why I lost them at least gives me a feeling that I have learned something from the experience and some hope that I may have fewer losses in the future, or at least losses and new lessons from different causes.

I have used screened bottom boards last year and this year without putting the insert in the bottom during Winter. I also have ventilation sticks above the inner covers of the hives that raises the outer cover slightly (not enough for bees to enter and exit). While I may find a few of my hives that won't make it when I go into them this afternoon, all are still alive and made it through the cold spell we just had.

Examine your comb for use next year. Your new bees can deal with or clean out pretty much anything except American Foul Brood. Just make sure you take steps to prevent wax moth damage or small hive beetle damage to your comb as the weather warms.

Keep plugging and good luck with your next colony(ies).

Rob
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

I lost a hive this week. One of my minnesota hygienic hives! :(

From posts on Beesource, I believe my dead out was from what some call "cold starved"
They had plenty of stores around and above them plus dry sugar on newspaper above the top bars.
They had ventilation to prevent moisture build up..but it appears the cluster was not able to move to their stores.
There were a lot of bees head first in the comb " clustering" There where quite a few on the top bars as well,
almost as if they chilled down and could not move into the cluster.
The cluster was small but no smaller than my nuc clusters last winter, they came thru fine.
Of course the weather was much milder last year!
I should have combined them with a stronger hive in the fall.

I'm very sad for all those who have lost hives this winter, unfortunately we have quite a bit of winter ahead of us!

Norma :(
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

don't give up Doug!

Doug, your results sounds exactly what happened to me. I had a great hive my beginner year , (italians) Strong hive but they ate themselves out of all the stores. I very small numbere were left (queen and 50 or so)

The results were no honey or stores, some bees with their heads in the comb, and thousands of dead bees.

I started again with package italians...it was depressing but Kurt and all the crew said try again. I was glad I did...

Sounds exactly like my first hive....first year.

I quickly learned the next year....I would have at least two hives.

don't give up.
Doug Shaw
Nursebee

Not Giving Up

Post by Doug Shaw »

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I won't be giving up. Still looks like I have one strong hive, hopefully strong enough to split. Time will tell.
Amoore

Post by Amoore »

We lost one of our hives as well, I'm guessing we didn't prep them well enough for the winter. They had plenty of honey stored, but every bee was dead. :( Our other hive is doing well, but now we are stuck...we've been out of town and didn't have a chance to order a nuc or package and everybody is sold out.

If anybody finds a supplier with Italians available, please let me know! :)
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

I lost another hive today,
this one makes 4 hives lost this winter!
This one went queenless, no brood capped or uncapped.
Small amount of bees on comb, plenty of honey, lots of dead bees on bottom board.
I did a shake out, and placed the honey in the freezer!
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

As of right now, I still have all three hives. One wintered in two deeps with two supers that were not capped at harvest time last year. I ended up leaving it, as they did not have anything but pollen in the deeps. One single story hive, and one five frame. I guess time will tell if they make it on through. I am seeing dandilion, maple, and chicweed blooming everywhere, and all three hives are bringing in pollen like crazy.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Hey Ron Young glad to see your back, nice to hear that the hives made it this far and I would guess they will make it since we do have a minor flow on now. Hope that shoulder continues to do well.
I finally made it through my 8 hives and one 3 story nuc. It appears one hive is queenless, there is some capped brood as well as drone brood but no larvae but quite a few drones running around.