Capturing a Swarm?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Litewings

Capturing a Swarm?

Post by Litewings »

OK Guys, here is the question. If I put a couple of frames of old comb into a nuc box, along with three frames of new drawn comb, smear on some Pharomone Lure or Bee Charm, and place it 10 or 15 feet up on a platform in a tree facing south......What are the chances of me capturing a swarm in the spring?
Litewings
:idea:
Ronald R. Washburn
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Do you know if there are any hives in the area?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

It sounds to me like you are doing what I have heard/read you need to be doing to attract swarms, and the rest is going to be up to the bees. Do you keep bees near this swarm lure? I can't place where I read it or heard it, but I recall reading that swarms are attracted to where other bees are located. I have also read or heard that if the bees are swarms from your hive, they are more likely to want to go some distance for a final place to establish a new colony. I do not know if providing this lure changes the odds.

The only swarms I have experience with are swarms near my hives and near a friend's hives. Some I know for sure came from the home apiary. Others I could not tell. We did not have lures out, but got the swarms from tree branches. I have read with envy the success of other beekeepers in other parts of the country who place their lures out and return to find boxes full of bees.

Give it a go and let us know what happens.
Litewings

Cannot hurt

Post by Litewings »

Thanks guys, I guess it cannot hurt.
Litewings
:D
Ronald R. Washburn
don ellis
Newbee

Post by don ellis »

just wandering, when are you going to do this?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Wally, feel free to join in on this discussion! I was reading old posts on this board. I was looking for when drones were appearing and when people were talking about swarms in years past. Drones have been showing up in mid to late March for some and into April for others. It appears that swarms started happening in April for most folks. I don't think there is much point in having swarm lures out until drones start appearing. My guess is that the bees are not going to be inclined to prepare for swarming until the original hive is in a position to get a new queen mated.

If you are going to be putting old comb out, which is what you want in a swarm lure, you may want to check with Wally to see if he has any BT (NOT Dipel). Mixing it and spraying it on the old comb before you put it out may prevent wax moths from destroying the comb while you are waiting and hoping for your new occupants.
Litewings

Planning for April

Post by Litewings »

I'm planning on setting up the nuc around the last day of March. What do you think?
Litewings
Ronald R. Washburn
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

It all depends on the weather. Although the majority of swarms here are in April, I have seen them in EARLY Mar. I would have traps out by Mar. 1st, and leave them until the end of June, refreshing the lure "or lemongrass" monthly.

Yes, I have BT.
Litewings

Post by Litewings »

OK, March 1st sounds good to me.
Does 10 feet up in a tree, on a platform sound about right?
Also, am I correct in thinking I should put some frames of old brood comb in?
I'm planning on putting them in a tree at the edge of the woods behind my home. That way I'll be able to easily keep a check on it.

Litewings
Ronald R. Washburn