Think I lost my Hive

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

I checkerboarded the two deeps of the largest hive yesterday. Good population, and a laying queen. The other ten frame hive was given a second deep of foundation for room, hopefully to keep them from swarming. The five frame that wintered very well, was put on ten frames as well.

I have one hive that seems to be a bit hot. I am not sure which one yet, but if you get near them, you will be buzzed for sure. In fact, today we were getting buzzed at 120ft. while sitting in a swing in my back yard. That is practically on my back porch. My dog was in my daughters play area, and got stung, this is right at the swing.

I have not, until now, had this problem. Is there an easy way to tell which of the three hives is hot? I am guessing that if one hive is hot, and the guard bees send out an alert pheramone, the other two hives are apt to react as well? (At least this seems logical to me.)

Any ideas on narrowing it down? I am not really in a postion to move hives. No way to move them really, and now where to move them.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

Well,

It took a few days to be sure, but I ended up with one queenless hive. They came through winter with a good population, but no queen now. The other two are booming.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Put a frame of eggs in it from one of the other hives.