New Bee Questions

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

SaraHoward
Newbee

New Bee Questions

Post by SaraHoward »

Hello, all. I received my package on Saturday and the installation went very well. I was so pleased, and I can credit that to the great class that you guys put on! My bees are busy gathering pollen, nectar and drawing comb. :) I do have a couple of questions...

1. I went to remove the queen cage today, and she was still inside. The candy wasn't even touched, so I uncorked the other end and was enticing her out. I think she went into the hive, but not sure. When should I check to see if she is laying or if she is missing?

2. I think my colony is having some robbing issues. I am using a hive top feeder, and it seems to be dribbling out the corners of the hive, even though it's not completely full. When I went to the hive today, the bees sounded P.O.'d!! There were little struggles around the entrance, and I assume that means that there are intruder bees trying to horn in.

Should I abandon the feeder and use baggies? Or is there a way to prevent the dribbles?

Thanks so much for your help!! I am very excited about my new bay-beez, and am looking forward to getting my second package next week.

Sara :D
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

1. Two days is pushing it for a queen release. I hope they accept her. You can check for eggs in 7 days. I don't recommend disturbing them before that.

2. I would remove the feeder for two days, then return it with a minimum amount of sugar water in it. Try to find the leaks and patch them with silicone caulking.
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Oh, no!! :shock: I thought I was doing the right thing with the queen. My books said to check to see that she was out in two to three days!! Well...I am a noob. I guess if I mess up, it's going to be a big mess up.

Thanks for the advice on the feeder. I'll try to remove it tomorrow.

Thanks, also for the quick response, Wally.

Sara
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I would agree with Wally about the 2 day release under normal circumstances.
Fortunately for you, you installed a package. The package was probably made a day ahead of time and they were in transit for a day. Thus your queen already had 2 days of face and pheremone time with the gals in the package. Most likely if she crawled out of the cage and down in she is OK.
I would have been concerned if you had seen balling.

Kurt
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Thanks, Kurt. I will leave it be till this weekend. I'll open up the hive on Sunday and see what's what. Do you have advice if she is gone? Order a new queen?

Sara
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I'm not Kurt, but Yes, if you can find someone who has one available. Otherwise, find someone who have a couple frames of eggs and brood they will give or sell you. They can raise a queen from eggs, but would benefit greatly from a couple frames of brood emerging while doing so, as the package bees will be aging during the time.

As Kurt said, you will likely be ok since the queen had a day or two in transit. It was still releasing her at a minimum, tho, so I wouldn't suggest doing it regularly.
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Thanks, Wally! Don't worry, once burned, twice shy. I will know better with my next package.

I will check in and see what I find on Sunday. Then order a queen if necessary. How would I find out about getting some brood/egg comb? Post here?

Thanks for answering all my newbie questions. :roll: It is a huge help.

Sara
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Yes, post here.
Also, my number is 336-302-2708. If you can't find any, maybe I can.
If you will check them Fri. before 10:30 AM and call me with the results, I may have some brood for you. I am removing a hive from an apartment on the south side of Greensboro then.
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Thanks, Wally! I will do that. I appreciate your help.

Sara
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Yeah! I checked on the bees this morning. There is drawn comb, and I see eggs!! :D I closed the hive back up, and will check on them next week when I install my second package in my other hive.

Thank you guys for helping me! I'm sure I will have other questions as time goes on, but it's nice to know there is this great resource online!! Good luck everyone with your colonies this spring...

Sara
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Great news. We will be here when needed. Hope you also post regularly just to help us keep the forum alive.