Second colony is much more agitated than the first...

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

SaraHoward
Newbee

Second colony is much more agitated than the first...

Post by SaraHoward »

Hello! I installed my first colony in it's hive on the 28th of March. They are no longer using a feeder and doing great!! I took the colony's feeder after a week as they didn't really seem to be using it much. Capped brood and lots of comb and nectar and seem to be thriving. I'm thrilled with their progress.

My second colony just got installed on Friday, and I have a mason jar feeder on top of the inner cover in a protected super. When I went to check on the level of food today, they seem to be clustering under the telescoping roof rather than hanging out in the frames like my first install did. They seem so much more agitated than my first installation at the same point, and they aren't bringing in any pollen yet. My other hive is gathering lots of pollen.

The queen was just introduced in her cage to this package on Friday. They were given to me separately at Miller Bees. I've hung her in the hive body on a frame. I will check to see if they have released her next Friday, but was wondering if the agitated behavior and clustering under the top is because she is a newly introduced queen?

Thanks for your help in answering my questions. I'm so appreciative of your help!!

Sara
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The first thing is to get them off the tele. top NOW...Imediately, if not sooner.

Either by removing the feeder and using a boardman, arranging it so they can't get into the protection super, or quit feeding totally.

You have to get them off the tele. top.

Once they are forced to stay in the box with the queen, they will settle down.
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Wally, thank you again for getting back to me quickly. I will remove the feeder and get them down into the hive body first thing in the morning. I appreciate your input!!

Sara
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Okay...the colony is now in the hive body and the feeder has been removed. I don't have a boardman feeder, so I guess I will stop feeding unless you guys tell me that I should figure out another way to give them syrup.

I will keep an eye on the activity of the colony today as I can. Any particular behavior that I need to keep an eye out for? I hope they will start carrying pollen and nectar like my other hive.

Thank you, as always.

Sara
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

If you want to come get it, I'll give you a boardman. If you are going to be at the club meeting tomorrow night, I can bring it then.
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Thank you!! Yes, I will be at the meeting tomorrow. I won't get there till late, though. I work till 7:00 pm. I hope to get there by 7:15 or so.

The colony is collecting pollen today. They are still pretty wound up, but are starting to forage. I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

See you tomorrow!

Sara