Swarm off a nuc

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Bill Hansen
Nursebee

Swarm off a nuc

Post by Bill Hansen »

I got a nuc last week. It evidently had swarm cells ready to go because I had a swarm yesterday. http://sufficient-for-our-need.blogspot ... label/bees We looked in the hive where we installed the nuc and saw no queen or evidence of a queen (no larvae or eggs), although the colony seems happy. Any advice?
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Bill:

While you did not observe any queen cups/cells in your nuc when you received it, it would take approx. 14 days from the point of laying an egg to throwing a swarm.
You observe no eggs, larvae or brood which indicates that something is really wrong.
I am assuming that the swarm you caught had a laying queen?
My guess is that the swarm wasnt yours. Your hive may have been queenless when you picked it up.
I would see if the provider will give you another queen.
And yes there are some other possibilities.

Kurt
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Kurt, he did see swarm cells when he picked it up. Also, he has capped brood now. It could be his swarm or a neighbor's swarm, 50-50 chance.

Bill, are the swarm cells open, gone, or still capped? If open, how many open on the side, and how many open on the bottom end?
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Oh, well that makes it easy.
It probably is his swarm and he has a virgin queen.
If the bees are happy, then they must know something we do not.

Kurt
Bill Hansen
Nursebee

Post by Bill Hansen »

Wally and Kurt,

Thanks. I don't want to pester either hive just yet. I did just sit and observe both hives and listened to the level of buzz. Both seem at peace. The foragers in the nuc hive are bringing in pollen. There is a fair amount of activity in the front of the swarm hive, but comparatively less. I expect that; they have a lot of comb to build. I think my plan is to wait perhaps until Wednesday or Thursday before I look again.