Sunbathing Bees

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ncmrigirl

Sunbathing Bees

Post by ncmrigirl »

Recently in the last week or so I have noticed that a portion maybe a thousand or two are covering the front of the hive from the landing board to the top cover. Now I know that one explanation for this behavior is that it may be possibly too warm for the bees and that they are just cooling themselves. But on the side of caution I wanting to keep my hive from some detrimental behavior such as swarming as this is my first hive. I have a satndard hive setup and just added my package of bees this year in march. Could my hive benefit from adding another super so then I have two with a queen excluder between them. My hive is also facing in the right direction S/SE with a slight tilt toward the entrance. Everything by the book on my part so far but alas I have many many bees hangin out on the front face of my hive. If anyone has any info or advice or just let me know that all is well; just dont want a swarm situation is all. Thank you in advance.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

A second, or third if you already have two, box should be added ASAP. They need to always have some empty space, even if it means 5 or more boxes. Never let them totally fill all the space.

PS. Welcome to the forum.
ncmrigirl

Post by ncmrigirl »

Thank you very much; right now all I have is one super on there. partly my fault but due to an unforseen mix up at Brushy Mtn I did not get my support pins til after the bees were already workin the hive, lol. So I am learnin on the fly thank you for the advice I will start lookin for a second super right away.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I have new supers for sale if you want one.
336-302-2708
ncmrigirl

Post by ncmrigirl »

How much for unassembled or assembled either or?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Sent you a PM.
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

Have you placed a spacer underneath the rear side of the top so as to enable more ventilation? Not at all unusual to have bees on the outside face of the hive body this time of the year. Daytime temps get the best of them.
Go Army Beat Navy