Girls in flight!

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

whg3
Nursebee

Girls in flight!

Post by whg3 »

I was really happy to see my girls flying from all four of my hives today. After such a cold start to this winter I was afraid I may have lost a hive or two. I hope this will Bee a Happy new year for everyone. Now my Question: Should I feed tomorrow if this nice weather holds up? :D
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Maybe a small community feeder in the yard away from the hives. I wouldn't put feed right on the hives.
braswell
Nursebee

community feeder

Post by braswell »

The last time I tried a community feeder the bees killed each other getting to the feeder. Thousands of bees dead, what happened? RB
Allergic
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

They didn't kill each other. They drowned when they couldn't get out of the syrup. You have to put some kind of floats or something in there or they fall in and can't get back out.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Another possibility is that there was fighting because outside bees were coming to the feeder. I keep a couple of jars of sugar water out on any days I think my bees might fly. Even with 8 hives and a nuc I rarely see any fighting although access to the jar lids is limited. (I don't use the bottom portion of the jar feeder for external feeding since bees get trapped in it and it does get clogged with dead bees.)

Occasionally I see some fighting at the feeder. I suspect this is from when some of Pete's bees from a block away decide to visit. Langstroth says that bees from the same yard will open feed in peace but will fight outside bees.
whg3
Nursebee

Feeding

Post by whg3 »

I put out a small community yesterday and had hundreds of bees eating. They are back again this morning in the rain. I have not seen any fighting or drowning, I did give the floats in case they feel in. :lol: