Quick Inspection

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

larry tate
Newbee

Quick Inspection

Post by larry tate »

Yesterday took a quick look. Grapefruit size capped brood and fresh eggs. Hope the weather cooperates.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Good signs. Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
sprayburn
Nursebee

Post by sprayburn »

We did a quick inspection today to see how the winter stores were looking. With the alternating bitter cold and warm days this winter I have worried that the bees are using up honey stores faster. It turns out that they still have honey stores in place.
In addition, they were coming in with pollen. When we openned the top super, we found nectar and freshly capped honey! Our Russian bees are hardy and hard working. The red maple is just beginning to bloom here.
Newbee Jim
Nursebee

Post by Newbee Jim »

I checked mine this weekend also. It looks like hive number two bit the dust. They seemed ok during the warm part of December. I guess the last few weeks did them in. The odd thing is I didn't see the queen and there where only a few hundred dead bees. I had sugar on top of the hive. I am attaching a few picks if anyone has suggestions.

I had three 8 frame mediums for the hive with the sugar on top. There seemed to be plenty of honey also. the small group of bees were all in one corner of the bottom box. I guess now I need to pull the honey out and stick it in the freezer for when my new packages arrive.
Image Image Image Image
Jim
-I don't know what I don't know!
larry tate
Newbee

Post by larry tate »

Saw nectar today from something? Maple?
whg3
Nursebee

Yesterdays Inspection

Post by whg3 »

I Did an inspection yesterday of my four hives. My girls are bringing in a lot of nectar from somewhere also. These bees were Larry's before they were mine. (Thanks Larry)
They are looking very good at this stage. :lol:
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Checked one hive completely today. Good laying pattern, capped and open brood, a few fuzzy newborns. No drones yet, didn't look good, but didn't see drone cells.

Plenty of stores and liquid in many cells. Could be sugar water or nectar. Pollen coming in heavily. Brewer's yeast being ignored. They have been covering the yeast up until yesterday. The maples must have bloomed.