When to extract?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

8jevans

When to extract?

Post by 8jevans »

When does the honey flow in the Triad typically end? When the tulip poplar stop blooming? that would be pretty soon, I presume. How long after the honey flow do most folks extract? If its a gradual decline in honey flow I presume there would be no hurry. We have a nearly full deep super (I guessing about 40#, maybe less) and there is some honey in the 2 brood chambers, which I was not planning to extract. The honey in the top super is about 2/3 capped, so I was planning to at least wait until everything was capped. Is this a good plan? Tom and Janice Ward, Greensboro, NC.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: When to extract?

Post by Wally »

I extract when the frames are fully capped, whether it be April or August.
braswell
Nursebee

Post by braswell »

how can you tell the difference between the honey filled cells versus sugar water cells? RB
Allergic
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I don't extract frames that were on when I was feeding sugar water. I leave those in the hive or put them in a designated spot in my freezer and put them back on the hives after the flow and when the hives need heavying up.
braswell
Nursebee

Post by braswell »

So, if I got confused about which supers, can you look at the frame and tell it has sugar?
Allergic
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I generally can't tell by looking at the frame. An old frame of wax that has been used before may make the "honey" look darker than when extracted and a newly drawn and capped frame may contain a very light honey that is from plant nectar. If you are extracting honey to sell, I would not want to take the unknown mix. If you are extracting for personal use, there would be no harm in taking the "honey." This is what our statewide proposed honey standard is about--if honey is tested and shows greater than permitted sugar water "honey" content or other extenders, the producer could face trouble.

I extracted a super of "honey" from my freezer about a month ago. It was dark colored and tasted like honey to me and 2 other beekeepers. It is now in 2 1 gallon jars and I will use it to make pollen substitute patties. This super was on while I was feeding, and although the bees probably used the majority of the sugar water "honey" at some point and replaced it with real honey, I would not give it/sell it for outside consumption.
braswell
Nursebee

Post by braswell »

Thanks, I think that is what I was looking for. RB
Allergic