One out of two ain't bad

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

mike91553
Guard bee

One out of two ain't bad

Post by mike91553 »

Last Friday night I had two swarm calls about 15 minutes apart. This was strange to get two calls so close together. I tried to get a good idea about the size and height and told the callers I would come Saturday morning. The first one was in route to the second so I went by there first to see it. They didn't excite me much as they were smaller than the caller indicated and possibly too high for a 12 foot step ladder. I left a hive there with 1 frame of bees with open brood and went to the second caller's house.

The pictures in the link show what I found there. I was very happy to get them first. The first two pics are of an earlier swarm from late April.

I arrived back to the first swarm at 10:15 and they were gone. Lady said they were were there when she last looked a few minutes before. I feel very lucky to have gotten the largest and easiest of the two.

http://photobucket.com/swarmcapture5-21-11
Wally
Guard bee

Re: One out of two ain't bad

Post by Wally »

Good job. A very nice swarm.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

That is a cool picture of you holding that swarm over the box. How much do you think it weighed?
Just some thoughts.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

Regretfully I didn't weigh my box before and after but probably about 5 lbs.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

Yesterday, day 6 after catch 9 deep frames drawn out so added a second box