Beekeeping 101

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

beebabyelle1
Nursebee

Beekeeping 101

Post by beebabyelle1 »

My hive has been bearding at the entrance for at least two weeks now. I am new to keeping bees and am not sure what to do for them. I know they are hot. I put an empty super above the inner cover and they have a screened bottom board. Not sure if it's necessary to do more. I have opened the hive entrance. Can anyone tell me if I need to do more or less?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Beekeeping 101

Post by Wally »

If they have water within 300 yds., I would only stand back and smile.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Bearding is a normal reaction to hot weather. It is a way for the bees to regulate the inside temperature. I would remove the empty super. If the bees are finding any nectar and are in a wax drawing mood, they can make a real mess up there. Opening the entrance and the screened bottom board should provide enough air flow for the bees. (I am assuming that your hive is not painted a dark color.)
beebabyelle1
Nursebee

Post by beebabyelle1 »

The bees have plenty of water, a creek down the road, water from my irrigation, plus watering the garden. I have also put out a dish and I've never seen them after any of that water. Before I put the empty super on top, I placed 4 popsicle sticks diagonally on the corners of the inner hive cover. The screened bottom board is in the lower position. I was wondering if I could take out the board below the screen completely. It's the screened Rubes bottom board. I thought the queen didn't like light coming in and haven't done that for that reason. Do you suggest pulling that out? The hive is white.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The board in the bottom should only be in for 2 to 3 days at a time while doing a mite count. Yes, take it out and store it. It creates a haven for wax moths and SHB when it is left in.
beebabyelle1
Nursebee

Post by beebabyelle1 »

We have been crushing shb occassionally on that board. Our last inspection revealed 1 shb on a frame so we put in a trap. No wax moths. Thank you for the info.