Mentors wanted - boy scouts

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Zulu
Site Admin

Mentors wanted - boy scouts

Post by Zulu »

My son has just moved up to Boy Scouts and I have joined the move to get the Beekeepers Merit badge reinstated.

To have a succesful local Greensboro program , we will need mentors to help. At this stage i have no idea how many interested scouts we might attract, but would rather be prepared in advance. If our troop is willing ,next spring i will get a hive started at the church too. It is only 3 miles from my home so easy enough to manage. Brushy have donated to this cause in other NC Areas this year, so will approach them for help once i kow where we are.

So if you are willing to help , please let me know.

I have also discovered that a discontinued merit can still be earned, so my son under my guidance will do the full program and still claim the merit badge irrespective of the status at BSA hq

Rick
red rambler
Nursebee

Re: Mentors wanted - boy scouts

Post by red rambler »

I am in.

David Millsaps

T101
Zulu
Site Admin

Post by Zulu »

Thank you David
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Count me in.

Rob
Zulu
Site Admin

Post by Zulu »

I am trying to rally the troops

Have taken an obs hive in and gave a presentation. 7 boys showed interest. Next step is to have a yard visit and get them in amongst flying bees. Then we will decide next steps

Thanks for patience. I thought this would be easier.
Zulu
Site Admin

Post by Zulu »

Ok david, rob and wally, we will most likely meet at my home close to Guilford College this Saturday at about 2pm to show the leaders and boys what they will be doing

Just waiting on email confirmations , and will pm each of you once i know it is 100% a go.

I have a PDF copy of the last Beekeepers merit badge book, from 1983. I intend to use a copy paste from PDF and update it a bit giving credit to the previous authors.

We have a smoker donated, two hive tools, and two live hives

Just need Fathers permission on hive location at the church and we are good to go. We have three ideal locations for choice.

Wrote to Brushy asking for woodenware donations too, not yet heard back.
Zulu
Site Admin

Post by Zulu »

Information session at my hives on Ballinger rd this Saturday at 2pm, we have 8 boys , but sport may delay some guys ...

Email me

rick dot abc @ gmail dot com or call me on cell two zero nine 9894

Rick