honey frames

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

honey frames

Post by p51d »

Every year I try something new and so far nver little luck so my question is around honey frames. After extraction, I put these away for the next season after the bees have cleaned them out. One year in plastic bags, with some moth balls. One year in a sealed Tupperware unit, one year in the sun in the garage. Every year, the dreaded wax moths make a mess and I start over.

A guy from the Alamance club said freeze them for a couple of days before storing them. Killing any eggs. Another suggestion was paramoth....

Suggestions? Or just cut the wax out, put new foundation in? (that seems to cut into honey production.)
Wally
Guard bee

Re: honey frames

Post by Wally »

Option 1.. Freeze them for a few days, then place them in a plastic trash bag and tape shut to completely seal.

Option 2.. Buy BT and spray them. Then store any where. The wax moth won't bother them. ""The SHB may, I don't know""
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Option 3.. Stack the supers outside under a roof away from weather but where they will get light and airflow over the combs.
Just some thoughts.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. Wally, what is BT???

My wife would be ticked to have honey supers freezing in the freezer so that is a poor option for me.

Air flow and light like Ski suggested is not so good for me - great option - just not for my situation.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks Wally, that it quite the website. :!: I will give it a shot