Cedar chips for smoker

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

herbcoop
Forager

Cedar chips for smoker

Post by herbcoop »

Do any of you use Cedar chips in your smoker? The man that I asked about bees before I got them is what he uses so that is what I've been using. Another guy questioned me on this as cedar chips keep insects out of pet bedding, I personally thing its the smell of Cedar that keeps insects out. I figure I'd ask your expert opinion on this.
any choice perfered as an alternate?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Cedar chips for smoker

Post by Jacobs »

I have used cedar chips. They work fine, but the smoke is hard on my eyes and the chips really build up a residue in the smoker quickly. I have to do a propane torch burn out of the smoker much more often when using cedar chips vs. pine needles, cotton rags, or peanut shells.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I think it's the cedar oil more than the smell. You can get pine chips where they sell the cedar. Pine would be my choice if I were to use chips.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I have also used the cedar chips and maybe it was just the way i used them, but I thought my smoker as well as the smoke seemed much hotter then when I used burlap.
Just some thoughts.