OPTIONS FOR VARROA MITE CONTROL

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

dwbicefam
Newbee

OPTIONS FOR VARROA MITE CONTROL

Post by dwbicefam »

I emailed Nancy Ruppert, who spoke at the Guilford Beekeepers meeting Tuesday night about the handout she spoke about that lists the different treatments for Varroa control, and she very kindly sent it to me. I would love to upload it and share it with anyone else who is interested, but every file format that I have tried comes up as not valid for the site. A little help please? :D
Thanks
CB
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: OPTIONS FOR VARROA MITE CONTROL

Post by Jacobs »

I think we may have resolved some technical issues with the website, and if so, I will upload the chart and post a link to it. Nancy was kind enough to e mail it to me and gave me permission to put it on the site.

UPDATE--I have created a link to the varroa treatment option sheet on the home page in our beekeeping reference sections. I would note that Nancy will not recommend specific products or advise against them given her position, but I would urge beekeepers TO THINK LONG AND HARD before using the last 2 treatments on her list (fluvalinate and coumaphos)--STRONG CHEMICALS & RESISTANCE ISSUES.
dwbicefam
Newbee

Post by dwbicefam »

Thanks!
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

I'm not sure if Nancy Ruppert's cost estimations for Apiguard were that accurate.

She put Apiguard down at costing $7 a hive. Dadant sells a 3 kg tub for $90.50. 3 kg will give you 60 treatments. If you need two per hive, that still treats 30 hives. Which adds up to a little over $3 a hive.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Nancy is probably closer than you think if you figure that most small beekeepers are going to go for the 10 pack that makes 5 complete treatments. This is one area where a group of beekeepers coordinating treatment methods can save money by purchasing larger quantities.
BeeJim

Post by BeeJim »

I have two hives in Oak Ridge area. I am testing for mite presents now, and if needed plan to treat with Apiguard. I would appreciate suggestions for use of this product. Product directions suggest two treatments each two weeks. I have been feeding regularly to encourage comb production and stores. Should I discontinue feeding during this four week treatment? jim
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I think you can continue to feed. That seems to be what I have seen in searching other forum boards. I have fed sugar water with Apilife Var on the hive. It slows some bees from taking it, but hungry bees went for the feed. I'm posting a link to the Vermont posting of the apiguard label.

http://www.vermontagriculture.com/ARMES ... iguard.pdf