two questions

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

two questions

Post by Ron Young »

1. Has anyone in the area used the English Garden Tops from Brushy Mtn? and Have you had any issue with ants getting in the void space and colonizing? (I have two, and it appears that ants have made a home in the top, so I am going to replace them with a standard telescoping cover.)

2. With this year being so robust with everything, I was wondering if other beekeepers were seeing an abnormally high number of ants in your bee yards? I am, and was wondering what can be done to get rid of them?
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Re: two questions

Post by Kurt Bower »

Ron:

I am unfamiliar with the English garden hives and can not speak with any experience about ants in them.
Over all this year I have not seen an increase in ant activity. Iwill say however that certain inner covers and telescoping tops seem to attract ants more so than others. A good strong colony will keep them at bay and often propolize a barrier to keep them from invading the hive. Ants do not seem to affect the bees overall performance or health.

Kurt