Local Feeding Schedule

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

dwbicefam
Newbee

Local Feeding Schedule

Post by dwbicefam »

I'm in my first year of having bees, things are going well. However, given it is my first year, and materials I read are written by people from all across the country, I'd like a little local insight. I understand the idea of having new bees and feeding them until they stop taking the sugar water (check), but what about feeding them later? I keep seeing people writing about a dearth of nectar coming in the summer and fall, and I guess I would like to know when and if I should start feeding again. Really, I would probably like a general outline of feeding in the Piedmont throughout the year, if that isn't asking too much.
Thanks,
CB
Ron Young
Guard bee

Re: Local Feeding Schedule

Post by Ron Young »

What did you start with? Package, Nuc, Established Hive? If you feed them until they have all pulled comb on all frames, and start showing stores in the upper portions of the hive, and some stores on the brood frames, then you should be good to stop feeding. I have heard of feeding until they get honey bound, or simply out of room for stores and room to lay. It is a fine line on giving enough, and too much. I would think if they are fully drawn on all frames, and you have good developing brood, quit feeding, monitor the use of what they have, and see if they are bringing in enough to maintain the hive on their own. If they are, good, and if not, put the feeder back on. A queen will recognize a dearth, and slow her laying down. If you continue to feed, then they are bringing it down to her, she lays and lays, and uses up space for brood. As that brood hatches, if she is not quick, she looses that cell to syrup, and honey bound becomes a reality.

I too will be curious to see what others have to say.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

First year, check the bees every week, if possible. It will teach you a lot. Second year, you can space the checks out some.

If they have capped honey, don't feed. If they don't have capped honey, feed. Next year you will have a better understanding of what blooms and when in your neighborhood. In certain areas, a hive can make honey to spare, while 3 miles away, a hive will starve. You need to learn your particular area.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

Good point Wally. When I was refering to "showing stores" I was refering to capped honey/syrup, and not open nectar that is being used or cured. I just did not mention that it should be capped.

"My Mentor Still Teaching Me" (This is a constantly learning hobby).
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

You gave a good answer there, Ron. I was just trying to simplify it for a new beek.
dwbicefam
Newbee

Post by dwbicefam »

Thanks for your input guys, books are wonderful, but other people's experiences are a little more "local" and relevant. BTW Ron, I have two new packages of bees that we started in the middle of April (local bees, so a little bit later than the GA ones). They have done beautifully and I''m having to give them more space because they have filled a deep and a medium with brood and honey. Both queens are laying well also. :D
CB
quentin
Forager

Post by quentin »

I started 2 packages from the club distribution this year. Fed the 2 about 150 gallons of 1:1. Two weeks ago one hive started heavy bearding daily about 4:00PM. When I checked this hive it was bound. (Had 2 med supers, 8 frame on each hive) Stopped feeding and added a third medium super. Checked today all 3 are combed and have 80% fill of honey on last super. Removed 3 frames of honey and replaced with new frames. The other hive is about 1-2 weeks behind this one. Stopped feeding it at the same time though.

Pleasant Garden Forrest Oaks area
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Quentin:

You stated that you fed about 150 gallons to 2 hives? Is this a typo? I dont feed that much to the 60 hives I have all year long.
Second question...
You sy that you removed honey? Have you been feeding all during the flow? If so then your honey is adulterated and should not be used for anything but bee feed.

I am in your area if you ever need any help.

Kurt
quentin
Forager

Post by quentin »

Should have been 150 lbs, 75 per hive, in an approximate 1:1

When feeding, had 2 med 8 frame boxes.

Stopped feeding added queen excluder and third med 8 frame.

Took honey from third box

I need to check this forum a little more often, missed your response until today.

Thanks for the offer of help, I'll look you up at the next meeting. Or yell if something scares me.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Needy or Greedy? It's cloudy and 53 degrees and I have a partial frame of nectar/honey at the back of my yard for the bees to clean up. What has been my most populous hive is going after it like gangbusters. The others are showing modest interest and activity. I think this may be a clue that I need to examine this hive for stores on the first close to 60 degree day(tomorrow?) and be prepared to add frames of honey and "heavy up" this hive.