Hive failing

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

honeyb

Hive failing

Post by honeyb »

I started my first 2 hives ever about 10 days ago. One hive had the queen die in the package box within 4 days of installation. The company I got it from was superb and replaced the queen right away. That hive is doing very well. My other hive did not release their queen so I had to poke a hole in the candy but they did release her. However, as of yesterday when I checked that hive is very weak, probably only a couple of hundred bees left. I cannot identify a queen in either so I think it is just my newness. The comb is not drawn out like the other hive. I cannot see eggs in either but I think that is just because I am too new at it. I called the company I got the bees from and they recommended I call the bee inspector. I did, but he has not called me back yet. Any suggestions?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Hive failing

Post by Jacobs »

First, add your location to your profile. Even if you are not "local" you are welcome here. If you are a member of Guilford Beekeepers you should have the password to the mentor page. Call a mentor to come and have a look. If you are not a GCBA member, but are within a reasonable distance, call me on my cell (336 740-1703), and we can arrange a time for me to come and have a look.
honeyb

Post by honeyb »

The bee inspector came today. He could not find a problem with the hive but said something had to be done. The queen is still there but 50 or less other bees. He recommends finding her a new home or getting a couple of frames of capped brood.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

What size frames?
honeyb

Post by honeyb »

deep
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I'm not sure I have deeps with capped brood, but if not, mediums will have to do in an emergency. I can do this Friday morning. I HAVE to check some of my out yard bees Friday afternoon. What is your schedule like for Friday? You can pm me with the address where the bees are located and your phone number.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Rob, you can pick up a couple deeps in my back yard.
honeyb

Post by honeyb »

Thank you, you are both very kind.
honeyb

Post by honeyb »

About 2 weeks ago I was able to replace 3 frames with capped brood with bees and a new queen package. Now both hives are doing great! Thank you for the help.