Nectar Flow

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

Nectar Flow

Post by Ron Young »

I noticed a few bees on clover today. I would have guessed that they would still be working the poplar trees now, but, I have also noticed that the poplar seems to have bloomed out all at once like everything else. Do you think that will result in it winding down sooner than normal. It looks like a lot of the blooms are brown, and beginning to fall off around here. How long do they produce nectar once they are bloomed out? Is it just that initial pool of nectar in each bloom, or is there more?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The state site says poplar blooms for 29 days. I don't know about each bloom.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

It says it usually ends on the 24th of May. That is almost three weeks out, but I can't see any developing bulbs on the tree in my back yard. It almost looks like they all opened up at once. Cool weather, followed by total heat wave. My blueberries did the same thing, I will have a great crop of blueberries, just all at once.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

Some trees will begin blooming sooner than others a short distance away depending on elevation, direction of slope and probably most important how warm the soil is. Trees in bottom lands will bloom later.

I think all the poplar is over now and there isn't too much else around me for the bees. I saw some attempted robbery around my hives yesterday.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Nectar Flow

Post by Jacobs »

My bees at home have been working nectar for 10 days to 2 weeks now, and the tulip poplars have buds, but not blooms yet. I put supers of drawn, open mediums on 4 hives around a week ago. I can smell nectar curing. On a quick check of 2 strong hives in the last few days, I found lots of new white wax cappings and frames about 70% capped. I may be taking early frames for extracting fairly soon.

Are other folks supering up now?
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

I noticed some supers were getting filled last check two weeks ago. None capped at that time. I'll check this weekend, add another super if I have to.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Where I am, it seems the tulip poplar bloomed almost at the same time and looks to be ending quickly. Bad for me as this is the main source for my bees.. well..what is left of my bees. 60-70% losses over the winter.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Either the flow is winding down around my house or the bad weather has the bees in a larcenous mood. I checked on one hive and began reducing its size in anticipation of its ultimate failure. This set off a frenzy among my bees which has not totally gotten out of hand, but has not calmed down after an hour.

This may be the end of carefree beekeeping with docile bees for this season. I hope not.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Yes, the flow is off. Either temp. because of the rain, or because it is winding down. My bees hit the hummingbird feeders today for the first time this year.
pholcomb
Forager

Post by pholcomb »

Yep, I think it is over too. A couple weeks go I put out some wax leftover from my first crush-and-strain honey harvest, and the bees barely touched the first week. Now they are all over it.

Paul
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

I was wondering if the flow had even begun yet. Obviously some have seen the flow start and then stop. Typically in northern piedmont when does the flow start and how long does it last?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

If you gauge by the tulip poplar bloom period (see the "what blooms when" link on the home page) that will probably be the peak flow period. Other things start earlier and other things start later, but the overlap of whatever is blooming when the tulip poplar blooms is most likely to result in our surplus nectar/honey. This spring, things started blooming later than they did the past two springs. The weather conditions will alter start and stop times for the flow by a couple of weeks or so.

If you want to get a feel for local events, I would encourage you to look at our old forum board posts for the same time of year going several years back or use the search feature for terms like "flow" or "nectar" or something similar. If we get enough people posting over enough time, patterns for local events may emerge. I think we are getting there with local flow information.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I am seeing a lot of nectar in my hives at home and now I can smell it curing. I'll be keeping an eye on hives to make sure that the strong ones have enough open comb to allow nectar to be spread out for removing moisture and for room to allow the queen to keep laying.
B_Lee
Nursebee

Post by B_Lee »

Looks like some of bees are moving on to clover.

My work is a honey bee sanctuary. Tons of clover, at least until Thursday (grass cutting day).
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (224.23 KiB) Viewed 32432 times
braswell
Nursebee

Post by braswell »

Does anyone come to this sight anymore. Curious if the poplar is blooming anywhere in guilford county??
Allergic
Bsummitkeeper
Nursebee

Post by Bsummitkeeper »

It's been in bloom for a good 2 to 3 weeks. If anything we're on the back end of the bloom and it could be over in a week or so unless it stays really cool.

If you look up into the poplars you'll see a yellow flower on the tips of the tree or you can just walk around under a popular after one of our windy days and you'll find the flowers on the ground.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I'm seeing the same thing that Bsummitkeeper is regarding tulip poplars. My crimson clover has played out. I planted some buckwheat late last summer. Seed from it has germinated, grown, and is now in full bloom. It smells like a horse stable that could use mucking, and the bees are starting to show interest in it.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

""Does anyone come to this sight anymore.""

Everybody but Braswell. Where you been?

Poplar here is finishing up. Petals all over the ground.