June 12, 2013 Swarm

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

June 12, 2013 Swarm

Post by Jacobs »

I was doing yard work when David got me and pointed out swarm activity in my fig bush. If there were 200 bees, I would be surprised. I tried to pick up the queen twice and she flew each time but returned to the bush. I put her in a queen clip in a medium nuc with 1 frame of drawn comb. Most of the group is clustered around the queen, but 8 or 9 are on the frame. The queen looks larger than a virgin queen and definitely attracts the attention of her group. Now what?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: June 12, 2013 Swarm

Post by Wally »

Pull a frame of brood from each of 3 hives and put with her. Release her at dusk tomorrow night.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Sounds like a plan to me.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I followed Wally's suggestion, and yesterday, I checked on the swarm. There is a dark, very young looking queen that has just begun laying eggs. I put a 5th frame, mostly open, with some nectar and pollen in it, to complete the nuc. Now I will give them a little time and see whether she is producing worker brood and what kind of pattern she lays.