?? Feeding time ??

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

?? Feeding time ??

Post by p51d »

I have a couple of new hives I started after last years losses. The setup I prefer is two brood chambers then honey supers if they build up enough the first year. Generally I don't get any honey for the first year.

Last week i check and had a honey super at 60%. Not enough to extract so I was waiting for the fall. Yesterday I noticed the hove was extremely active. First, I was scared of a late swarm so I busted the hive open.

The honey super was completely empty, one borrd chamber I expected to be full was at 60%.

Remembering what happened my first year of beekkeeping I am going to start feeding this hive as either they are eatting there stores (lack of natural food) or other. Pretty strong hive so I don't think a late split

I am open to what the other beekeepers are seeing or if I am alone. Anyone feeding already??

Hopefully this might help the new beekeepers. I learned my lesson the first year!!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: ?? Feeding time ??

Post by Jacobs »

This is the time of year for keeping an eye on robbing and for keeping an eye on the need to feed. I took honey earlier in the season, but left a good amount on my hives. I am not seeing bees putting up additional stores, but have not seen major honey consumption up to this point. Bees are not drawing out wax without supplemental feeding. Up 'til now, my impression is that the bees have been bringing in enough nectar not to be drawing down supplies quickly, but not bringing in a surplus. This can change quickly with brood rearing ongoing and more serious nectar dearths a real possibility.

If your hives are very light, I would feed 1:1 now. You want a strong population of bees going into winter. You can always switch over to the more concentrated sugar mix of 2:1 in late August to help the bees put up winter stores. The only feeding I am doing is on a few small, recent swarms. I am trying to get them to draw some of their own comb instead of using up my reserves.

I saw a decent amount of orientation flights at my home bees yesterday afternoon. When you examined your hive, were there dead bees in front and did the empty honey comb appear ragged where uncapped (indications of robbing) or was the comb empty but well tended?
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks Jacobs and that seems like sound advice.

This hive is a swarm hive from the Spring. I robbed two weeks back and you might have seen some earlier posts which Wally answered. If the super is not 90 capped I won't take it so I had only recently inspected and saw this honey super at 60%. I left it in the hopes for harvesting later. Honey production (for me) is way off because of losses over the winter. My hopes were to to see if this one would finish out.

The hive was extremely active. The bees look great in the brood (one brood) and there is plenty of room. The honey super was completely cleaned. the frames look nice, not torn up, and the hive is strong. No dead bees - just extremely busy.

I will start feeding this one. It was very strange to see "over activity" plus I really do not have food sources in my opinion. Better feed and not learn from my first year mistake.

I have never had any luck where I am (Pleasant Garden) for any fall harvesting. Only the Summer.

Thanks for your input as it is very valuable along with everyone elses.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I checked on 2 small swarms (not fully covering 5 medium frames) yesterday and found that the queens were laying decent patterns, but there was absolutely no honey or nectar in either nuc. I had been giving them sugar water and stopped about 4 days ago to see what they would do. I immediately gave them 1:1 in jar feeders that go in the opening of the inner cover. I had to put a nuc sized robber screen on one this morning. Even with the smaller smell signature of sugar water, it was attracting the attention of stronger hives.

So far, my hives with honey stores don't seem to be drawing down stores, but I will keep a close eye.

What are others seeing now?
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I picked up 5 swarms this year and I am feeding 3. The other 2 I gave away and they are also being fed. I checked one of the swarms since I have ben feeding and they had a few frames of syrup. All of the other hives seem to have plenty of stores for now. I will be surprised if all 3 of the swarms make it to next spring.
Just some thoughts.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

I am feeding pretty heavy as the stores are very light so this is my experience for my hives and locations.

If a beekeeper is feeding, the bees will continue to build wax comb? The question really is - does it make any sense to have a honey super (extra honey supers) and will the bees build out the wax? Trying to get a jump start - if possible as in the spring, the honey supers with new wax and frames, require time to be built out, which probably reduces honey collection. Of course, only after I know they have plenty of food for the winter

Probably a poor direction - I am trying to get a jump start with frames built out.

One thing I am seeing is a killer hive beetle population. Several reports of other beekeeps with hundreds (if not thousands) in a single hive. I understand the wet weather is to blame.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

It is theoretically possible to get comb drawn now--warm weather, strong population of bees, and continuous & heavy feeding. I don't know if the bees would become "honey" bound before drawing new comb and how that would affect brood rearing of your over winter bees.

It may be better to wait until spring and get a primary swarm. They arrive in a comb building mode as part of establishing a new hive. I understand that if you continue feeding a primary swarm and continue giving them frames, they will continue drawing comb. I have not done this for an extended period, but I have been impressed with how quickly a large primary swarm can draw out undrawn frames and how quickly they can recondition old banged up comb.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks Jacobs. I agree so I look forward to the spring and letting them get back to work. I appreciate the input as always.