Up on the Roof-5/30/14

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Up on the Roof-5/30/14

Post by Jacobs »

I met my neighbor who lives 4 doors down from me. She called last evening to see if I could collect a swarm at her workplace in downtown Greensboro. They were still there this morning, so I took my bee vac and removed them from their penthouse stopover. I put them in a medium with 2 drawn open brood comb frames and 8 undrawn frames and placed a feeder over them. I figured that I might as well put them to work.
ski
Guard bee

Re: Up on the Roof-5/30/14

Post by ski »

Pretty cool. Its neat to see something other then a tree or bush.
How far away was the plugin for the beevac?

I chased one over a 3 story office building about a year ago but they were long gone.
Just some thoughts.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

My 50 foot cord was not long enough to reach. Fortunately there was another available so I could use a plug. If that hadn't worked, I had my small generator in my car, but I wasn't looking forward to carrying a 40lb object from the parking deck, around the front of the building, and up a couple of flights of stairs.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

The queen in this swarm started laying on about the second day after I hived them. If I can just convince them to draw comb on foundation instead of from the bottom of the inner cover, all will be well.