Trap Out in Sedgefield (SW GSO)

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Kieterkat

Trap Out in Sedgefield (SW GSO)

Post by Kieterkat »

Hello!

I was hoping someone would be willing to help me with a trap out to remove bees from the front column of our house. We have lived here for over 2 years, and we bought the house during the winter. Sellers didn't disclose the bees in residence, but we love them and don't mind them one bit. We are trying to get our house on the market, but our realtor said we need to spray them, which as you know is illegal and I wouldn't allow it regardless. Our other option is to have the column cut open and then repaired, which we really don't have the money for (we are moving to downsize due to the financial situation changing). My dad is a beekeeper but he lives in Alabama. Would anyone be willing to do a trap out for me? You can have the colony if you can catch them. I really don't want to see them killed. We have zero beekeeping supplies and it isn't a hobby I will have time for until the kids are a bit older. I think you came out here, Wally, and said we could cut the column open, but I was hoping that we could do a trap out instead. I know it is a longer process, but we are fine with that.

Edited to add- we have wasp neighbors, but don't want to mess with spraying them since the bees would be collateral damage. If Whoever climbed up the ladder with a bee suit on would help us out with those icky guys too, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (209.85 KiB) Viewed 7156 times
Kieterkat

Re: Trap Out in Sedgefield (SW GSO)

Post by Kieterkat »

Maybe we could use shim to plug the bottom "entrances" for the short term, silicone at the top, and worry about a long term plug at the bottom after they are gone
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I don't remember seeing a column like that with bees at top and bottom. I would never cut into a column of that stature. Trapping the bottom section would be very simple, and I would gladly guide and help anyone who wanted to do it. The top is far beyond my abilities and I would have no idea where or how to start.
Kieterkat

Post by Kieterkat »

Wally wrote:I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I don't remember seeing a column like that with bees at top and bottom. I would never cut into a column of that stature. Trapping the bottom section would be very simple, and I would gladly guide and help anyone who wanted to do it. The top is far beyond my abilities and I would have no idea where or how to start.
You are right it was a different gentleman - his name escapes me at the moment. Thank you for offering to guide me and/or whoever offers to help :)