Swarm traps

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Martym

Swarm traps

Post by Martym »

Anyone setting any swarm traps yet? I'll be setting a few in the next few days. I'd love to see some pictures of your setups. I'll post some of mine when I set them....wish me luck.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Swarm traps

Post by Jacobs »

My swarm lure/trap went up just after Nancy Ruppert gave her presentation to the GCBA letting us know that bees were about 2 weeks ahead of schedule and that she was putting out her personal swarm lures.

Here is a link to a series of posts from last March showing my swarm lure, with a link to a video of a swarm arriving.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1970

[Links no longer work. Photobucket wants to charge for what was free. As I get time, I will either create links if they will work, or see if Google works better.]
Martym

Post by Martym »

IMG_0486a.JPG
IMG_0486a.JPG (81.52 KiB) Viewed 19804 times
Nice thread, I am going to start coming to the meetings when I can. I also,plan to use Lemmon grass oil. I guess it's like fishing I'll put them out and if I don't get a bite I'll move them :D I just hope I have better luck catching bees than I do fishing! This is the trap I decided on its 30 ltr and made it from scrap stuff around the house.
Martym

Post by Martym »

IMG_0498a.JPG
IMG_0498a.JPG (79.38 KiB) Viewed 19804 times
Set a swarm trap today , thought I would share a photo . Any thoughts are appreciated.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

My first question is--what is inside your swarm trap? What is in it besides lemongrass oil?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

One less beer and you might could have done it standing up. :evil: :mrgreen:
Martym

Post by Martym »

The trap has one frame of brood comb and the rest of the frames are empty. This trap is baited with swarm commander. I have a few more traps set with Lemmon grass oil . I have heard a lot of good things about swarm commander and was just seeing for myself. In the picture it looks lower than it is , it's about 7-8' off the ground. I would have liked to have got it higher but I didn't have a ladder.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Set up my swarm lure/bait hive today--
SwarmLureHive_IMG_2334.JPG
SwarmLureHive_IMG_2334.JPG (59.87 KiB) Viewed 20195 times
It is early for this season, but with over a month of pollen patties and sugar water, I am seeing some capped and uncapped drone brood in my strongest hives at the house.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I have seen a couple of bees land and go in my swarm trap just a few minutes ago. I made sure the dark frame I put in along with 9 undrawn did not have honey or pollen in it. I hope these are scouts and not just bees looking for a free meal.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

There is more interest in my swarm trap hive this afternoon. Bees are showing little interest in the "Jacobs Nectarometer" or in partial honey frames I have uncapped and set out. If I see more activity tomorrow as temperatures warm, it may be time for a small spritz of Swarm Commander on the landing board.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I took advantage of yesterday's warm weather to set up my swarm trap. I did not get any swarms to move in last year (2019), but have gotten at least 1 move in each of the years I have had it up.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Swarm Traps

Post by DuaneB »

I started putting up swarm traps in my yard today, as 3 of my hives had a LOT of orienting going on. I want to keep my bees!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I put my dogwood tree swarm trap up Thursday (2/4/21) afternoon. I am not convinced we are going to have a February start date for swarm season like last year, but I had the equipment ready and definitely had time on my hands.