Swarms-4/10/19

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Swarms-4/10/19

Post by Jacobs »

I picked up a 1lb swarm at sunrise this morning off Cone Blvd. There was a voicemail on my phone from last night during our meeting about this swarm. This afternoon bees ignored 2 bait hives configured along the lines of what Thomas Seeley says bees prefer. At first they went to 2 stacks of supers with frames I had outside to scrape and replace foundation. Both had a super with a rotted corner giving access to the stack. After about 15 minutes, the bees started heading into 1 stack and coming out of the other one. I plan on letting the bees settle in and then start taking the supers down and putting the bees in a proper hive. I am still seeing activity around the other stack of supers and around the bait hive in the same area, so I am planning on leaving them alone and watching for a day or two to see what happens. I heard the bees coming in before I could see them and when they arrived it was an awesome sight.