Questions on the Comb

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Locust&Honey

Questions on the Comb

Post by Locust&Honey »

Time for a question on the comb. How long (average) does it take before I will see some comb being drawn in my new super? What does it begin to look like when it first forms??? How long will it take the queen to move into the super after comb is being drawn??? These, of course, are for any and everyone to chime in on. Thanks guys. :)
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

>>>How long (average) does it take before I will see some comb being drawn in my new super?<<<

Two weeks.

By then you will have the other answers.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Thanks Wally. that makes me feel better. It has only been about a week, so i will bee patient. They are really starting to drink the sugar water.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Any thoughts on using beeswax that already has drawn comb???? Would you suggest/not suggest? And which one would you use??? Would you replace the super you just put on with a new one with drawn comb or would you not disturb it???? :?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I would leave things as they are. Newbee jitters withstanding, the bees just need time to work now. :wink:
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Newbee Jitters

Post by No=-Bee's »

I know all about the newbee jitters, I am fighting the urge to go and look in on my bees every day. I can't hardly stand it. I was hoping today would be nice and sunny, so I could at least watch them fly, and work on the two bradford pear trees that are all full of bloom. Maybe by this afternoon. I would really like to see which one has eggs, and hopefully find a queen cell or two in the other hive.
Ron, "Now with bees"