Nectar flow

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

1alley
Newbee

Nectar flow

Post by 1alley »

How is your nectar flow so far? I'm new, but my dad says the bees are not filling up the supers so far. Any thoughts?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Nectar flow

Post by Jacobs »

This year may be the year that really demonstrates that all beekeeping is local--very local. I am about to have a look in my stronger hives, but I suspect the mild winter and early flow lead to earlier brood rearing in my case. For me, the question is--have the bees been able to bring in enough extra nectar above that for brood rearing & feed to be able to put up honey? I know one of our members has been having a strong flow this year and has removed a significant number of frames of honey from a strong hive.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

I wish I could say that.
frank
Nursebee

Post by frank »

I've been harvesting the spring honey in early June but this year I could not get it done and have been planning process this weekend. When I opened the hives to place escape boards, I found plenty of uncapped frames. I'm thinking of harvesting in two weeks.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Post by reedyfork »

I'm in the same boat. Some frames still with plenty of uncapped honey, and my two strongest hives with brood/drone all the way up into the third and fourth medium! Guess I'm going to need to rethink maybe experimenting with a queen excluder next year...
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

I had the same problem with queen in my strongest hives putting brood in the supers. I'll be trying queen excludes next year too.
frank
Nursebee

Post by frank »

When I checked my hives the other day before placing escape boards, found some nice comb honey and capped frames but most of the frames were still uncapped. Plan to check in two weeks again. Hope the third time will do the trick.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I haven't used escape boards, but I would be concerned that if bees were not available to protect the honey & nectar, small hive beetles might take advantage of the situation and ruin any potential crop.
frank
Nursebee

Post by frank »

I used a fume board last two years but it was somewhat time consuming. That's why decided to use escape boards this year (have 10 production hives). Thanks for the heads up about the beetles. Though they have never caused any problems for me so far, I do not plan to keep the boards on no longer than 24 hrs.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

This morning the bees at the house emptied my nectarometer (5 oz. honey & water in 1 pint jar) in less than 2 hours. This is not nearly as fast as they will empty it in a serious dearth, but it is the quickest they have emptied it this season. I am thinking that this stretch of 90+ degree weather we are having is finally bringing on the dearth in my neighborhood. I will probably lessen the amount of honey in the jar and continue to monitor interest.