Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Pharmacyman
Nursebee

Post by Pharmacyman »

Hi! I live in a Guilford Co. residential area and I'm interested in keeping a couple of hives here at home. There are no neighborhood covenants against it and I have spoken to neighborhood association President and received a nod.

I know nothing about beekeeping. I was planning on going to a meeting to ask, but COVID-19 has paused GC beekeepers meetings, as you know. When and how does someone get started? I'm a pretty good doer. If someone could point me in a starting direction, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Ken Keever
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Newbie

Post by reedyfork »

Ken - welcome to the forum! I am in my second year of beekeeping here in Greensboro, and can't imagine even thinking about getting started without first taking one of the beginner beekeeping courses typically held in late-winter or early-spring... You can of course read and YouTube all you want, but there's no substitute for hands-on activities and real conversations with local beekeeping experts. Just my two cents though...

I'm sure others might have different opinions or know of current resources available given the lack of meetings and classes. Either way, good luck!
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

Where in Guilford County are you located? If you can work with someone who has already been keeping bees to "learn the ropes" you can gain a lot experience before you jump into getting your own hives. I've had folks work with me in my bee yard helping me through the spring into fall. When they are ready to get their own hives, they buy their woodenware and I give them a five frames of bees and brood with marked queen to start their hives. I'm in High Point, if you're interested in working with me send me a message.
Pharmacyman
Nursebee

Post by Pharmacyman »

donwal, I am definitely interested. I live in High Point also. I will send you a message.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

Hi,
I coordinate the GCBA virtual meetings on Zoom. PM me and I'll get you on the invitation list.

I would be interested in meeting other beeks in High Point. PM me. It would be nice to compare notes.

Duane