Did I kill queen

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Linda
Nursebee

Did I kill queen

Post by Linda »

I was marking queens today. First one went fine. Second one buzzing in marking tube. Marked her then she didn't move! I put her back in hive. Bees took her away. Will check Wednesday to see if she revived. Makes me wonder why I bother to mark I'm so upset.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Did I kill queen

Post by Jacobs »

I've done the same thing using a push tube. It happens. Hopefully, your queen will recover. Mine did not.

I like to have marked queens and have switched to picking the queen up by her 2 wings. I come from behind her to catch her and her wings. She goes still and her abdomen curls forward. I switch her to my left hand, holding her thorax while marking with my right hand. There are days (too many pots of coffee?) where I don't attempt it. You can practice on drones, but if you do, see if you can get a marker of a color NOT used on queens. Nothing is more distracting in a queen search than 30 or 40 thoraxes with this year's queen color.
Linda
Nursebee

Re: Did I kill queen

Post by Linda »

I've been meaning to practice catching with fingers. Other things have always been on the hive inspection agenda. Will make a date for catching drones this week I'm still a bit jumpy trying to handle bees. Have to practice my deep breathing.
Great article in the News & Record.