May 1, 2010 Removal

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally
Guard bee

May 1, 2010 Removal

Post by Wally »

The Guilford County beek club sponsored a cutout as a community service and for the members who wanted to learn removals. The President, Rob Jacobs, and I, led 6 newbies into a 15 gallon of comb, 8 to 10 lb. of bees, wall hive. 8 and 1/2 hours we were finally done. It was fun, and a good learning experience for the members.
Too many pictures to post here, so click on the link to visit my photobucket album.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/ ... arpe%20St/
drewgrim
Guard bee

Post by drewgrim »

man thats good stuff...i saw you guys on the news.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

The cut out was a really good experience all around. The home owner was really nice and I got a chance to learn more about some of our club members and see some of their talents/skills on display. My most significant contribution was being small enough to fit into the attic opening to vacuum bees and spray bee quick where the bees entered.

The removal reminded me a lot of surgery to remove an unwanted growth. We peeled back layers of skin (drywall & wood), avoided bone (studs), nerves (electrical wires), and blood vessels (pipes). Once we opened the wall and exposed the bees, I think Wally determined it was a more complicated surgery than expected and removed the comb from the wall as he explained the cuts he was making and the thoughts behind them.

In addition to learning more about bees, I learned more about building construction (destruction) and workplace safety--things I don't give much thought to in a quiet office.

Thanks Wally, and thanks to all of the club members and others who gave up a Saturday to help Ms. Stancil on behalf of the Guilford Beekeepers.