no queen

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

d'sbees
Newbee

no queen

Post by d'sbees »

My bees swarmed three weeks ago. I checked the hive after the swarm and it looked like there were some new queen cells, so I closed it and observed. Yesterday I revisited and it looks like there is no queen, not much brood activity and a few small hive beatles. What should I do, I am a new beekeeper.
Please advise.....
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Generally you expect to see eggs from a laying queen around 28 days after the egg was laid that becomes the new queen (3 days as an egg, then larva, capped at day 9 and emerge at day 16 or even 15 in warm weather--the rest of the time is to prepare for the mating flight and to start laying after mating).

You said there was not much brood activity, but did you see eggs? If you saw a few doubles in a cell but then single center placed eggs, you most likely have a queen, whether you saw her or not. If you did not see eggs, did you see polished cells? Bees really cleaning cells well is an indicator that they expect a queen to be laying, whether it actually happens or not.

I am posting a link to Michael Bush's bee math page. I find it very helpful and it may give you an idea of what to look for when.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

More information about what you saw on your inspection would be helpful.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Three weeks ago. Exactly to the day, or approximately? Do you have any capped brood at all? As Jacobs asked, was there an area of empty, shiny cells, as if they had polished them for egg laying?

I would ask an experienced beek to check them with you, or wait another week before making judgement. There are a number of beeks in the club that are willing to come over and inspect a hive with you. What area are you in?
d'sbees
Newbee

Post by d'sbees »

I revisited the hive yesterday and saw some capped brood and a some larva still did not see the queen.