Guilford Technical Community College Needs Bee Removal

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

SaraHoward
Newbee

Guilford Technical Community College Needs Bee Removal

Post by SaraHoward »

Hello, all! Sorry I haven't been more active on the boards this summer, but it's been a busy one!!

I have been working part-time at Guilford Technical Community College in Jamestown, NC. The LRC (Learning Resource Center) where I work has a bee colony or colonies that are living in the wall, and are becoming a problem to the faculty, staff & students. This problem has been going on for some time, but is coming to a head. One staff member has been stung already, and we are concerned that someone with a bee allergy might be stung as well.

The bees have been extremely active this summer, and there have been days when several hundred bees will be found dead in Room 325 when we come in to work in the morning. The facilities department of GTCC has hired well-known pest company to exterminate the bees, but they haven't been successful. They said that they also contacted two beekeepers who do extractions, but because this is such a complicated job, they were not interested :?: ...not sure who they talked to, or what was said. It is a complicated situation, as the building is brick and concrete block and the colony or colonies seem to be nesting in between the inner and outer wall.

Since people in my department know that I keep bees, they asked if I would post something on the board and see if someone would be interested in talking to us about removal.

Would anyone be interested in coming and surveying the situation and perhaps give us a quote for coming and removing the colonies? At this point, we don't have too many other options except extraction. I would also appreciate a referral, if no one is interested directly.

Thanks so much!!

Sara Howard
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Sara,
Just a suggestion:
Can you post some pictures of the outside of the building, a wide angle shot as well as a close up shot of where they are entering the building. Also a shot of the inside of the building where the bees were found. That may help someone here on the forum make some decisions before they travel to Jamestown.
Ski
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I looked at it today and gave them an estimate. They are going to call me tomorrow and let me know if they want me to do it.

I will be doing it Friday if they use me. I will take up to 3 volunteers if you want to assist. You can call me at 336-302-2708 if you are interested in helping.
SaraHoward
Newbee

Post by SaraHoward »

Thank you, Wally, for coming out and surveying so quickly!

Let me know if I can answer any questions about the site or situation. We are grateful for your help!!

Sara
Newbee Jim
Nursebee

Post by Newbee Jim »

Be sure to post pictures!
Jim
-I don't know what I don't know!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Pictures you want--pictures you get.

The crew sets up at GTCC

Where the honey bees used to live

Better living through chemistry

White powder of death

There were no live bees to collect. The last 2 pictures are from the room next to the room we set up in.

What we have here is. . . . . failure to communicate.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

....Wally your price must have been too high. :lol: Not worth killing the bees I would think. :cry: I just find it ironic that an institution of "higher" education would be this stupid. :P
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Let's just say some thoughts are best left unsaid.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I really think it was a breakdown in communication. The decision makers wanted the bees saved and removed and took steps to have it done, but the word did not get down to some folks who took action once the bees had been located.