Fumigation using Ethylene Oxide Sterilant gas

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

braswell
Nursebee

Fumigation using Ethylene Oxide Sterilant gas

Post by braswell »

I had the state pick up some supers to fumigate. Can you guys help me understand what the heck they are talking about. Can I use them for honey supers once they are done? If the governor finds out how much they charge that will be the end of fumigation. Last question, how much longer do I feed the old hives, I think these girls will eat all spring. RB
Allergic
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Fumigation using Ethylene Oxide Sterilant gas

Post by Wally »

I can't help with the fumigation, but stop feeding when you put your honey supers on, or before. I stop feeding the old hives when I see flowers bloom.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Can you use them for honey supers after fumigation?
Yes you can use the supers for brood or honey or to eat off of, ok I guess I would not eat off them. But they will be as sterile as they will ever be. We are very lucky to have the chamber in North Carolina, there are only a few in the country. The chamber was originally used to sterilize rocks brought back from the moon.

A link about the gas.
http://www.anpro.com/support/indexeto.htm

About feeding, what Wally said, and also check and make sure they are not filling up the brood chamber limiting the cells the queen has to lay eggs in. A nectar or syrup bound brood chamber is a good way to make swarms.
Just some thoughts.
braswell
Nursebee

Post by braswell »

So now they have filled all the empty cells with sugar water what do I do? Should I stop feeding the new packages also? RB
Allergic
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

braswell,
I would not stop feeding the new package.

Established hive:
IF they have filled the brood chamber up with syrup or nectar it would be a good time to stop feeding.
If you are nectar, syrup or honey bound you will need to open up the brood chamber by adding empty frames of whatever you have, drawn comb or foundation to the brood chamber. Do this a couple at a time.

You may consider moving the syrup filled frames to the package, that would give them a nice boost.
Just some thoughts.