The Future of Trapouts

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

The Future of Trapouts

Post by Jacobs »

I am wrapping up the Blandwood II trapout and a potential new challenge is emerging. The cone is empty of bees and has been for several days. This is good. There is a smell of fermenting honey/nectar coming from the tree. This is bad. In areas where small hive beetles are a problem, are we going to have to modify trapout procedures?

If this trapout was in a building, reducing the strength of the "in building" hive to the point that SHB could take over and slime up the comb may make a mess for the building owner and make the stores unattractive for the outside bees to rob out and clean up. I don't know the answer to this.

Are we going to have to figure out new methods of cleaning the "in building" combs, like setting up a strong hive outside the trap out and allowing robbing BEFORE the traditional one week/no cone activity time to set up robbing?

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I just being alarmist?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: The Future of Trapouts

Post by Wally »

The problem is already in the southern states. The only time they can do a trap out is in early spring. The SHB are too aggressive once summer comes.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Based on what I am seeing this year, I think we may be at that point.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Go to Beemaster and search for Hardwood under swarms and trapouts. You will see how bad it is down south.