Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Norma :)
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Fly parasite

Post by Jacobs »

From American Bee Journal, Volume 1 No. 4 April 1861, page 85

"Notes on Humble Bees" by Dr. Donhoff

I daily examined my humble bees' nests, looking for dead humble bees. I found some on ten occasions, and on dissecting them invariably discovered a large larvae, completely filling the abdomen. It was apodal, and when warmed moved like the larva of the bee moth. I succeeded in severing the abdomen without injuring the larvae. In a few days these were transformed into chestnut-brown pupae, which have not yet emerged. They appear to be the pupae of some species of fly. The parent insect must deposit the egg by inserting its ovipositor between the rings of the abdomen, and the humble bee perishes about the time when the larvae attains full growth, and is ready to enter its pupae state.

I don't know if the author of the article ever determined what type of fly was involved, but what is old is sometimes new again. Hopefully, this newly found threat to the honey bee will not be a major problem.
ski
Guard bee

Re: Fly parasite

Post by ski »

Dr. Tarpy from NCSU spoke a bit about this last night in the question and answer session of the webnair "Coming Out OF Winter".
His remarks were along the lines of:
We have heard of this fly before but we don't even know if its in North Carolina, its not at the top of the list of things to be concerned about but its something to be aware of and to keep a watchful eye on.
Just some thoughts.