Small Hive Beetles

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

BeeJim

Small Hive Beetles

Post by BeeJim »

I am a new beekeeper and have begun to see small hive beetles in my hive. I have noticed on my last two trip, first one and now more (perhaps 12). In each visit I have crushed the beetles, but am concerned as to my next steps. They were found on the bottom of my top feeder. I have heard that healthy hives can control these pests but wonder if I should be doing more? Any suggestion would be helpful.

Jim Parker :(
NW side Greensboro
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Small Hive Beetles

Post by Wally »

The more sun, the less SHB.
The more shade, the more SHB.
Doug Shaw
Nursebee

Post by Doug Shaw »

That has been my experience too. I put my hives in the sunniest place in the yard. They get the first light of the day and don't go into the shade till about 5:00 PM. I tried traps a few years ago but they did not seem to work very well. I still get a few and the bees are managing them just fine now that the hives are in the sun. I am against chemicals - use the sun if you can.
I let the bees clean up equipment and cappings about 100 yards from the hives in the shade and am amazed at how many SHB gather in the cappings so I know they are still present. I get these capping into the solar wax melter and it seems to kill quite a few, so again the sun is helping in the control.
braswell
Nursebee

Post by braswell »

I am full of info tonight. I have a hive that always had a lot of bettles. I recently discovered there was a crack in the top cover. This top has a copper cover and has a peak like the roof of a house. This peak allows a large cavity these little critters can hide from the bees. I caulked the crack, we will see if this stops them. RB
Allergic
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Sun is the cure.
I have one outyard that I have had nothing but trouble with for years due to being in complete shade.
I have also had a few hives completely destroyed by SHB. One hive drove the bees out without a queen and they absconded. When I picked up the frames they rained out SHB.
Often in my observations of a strong hive they will corral the beetles and keep them cornered above the inner cover.
I recommend that you do something if not more than maintain a strong hive.

Kurt