December Foraging

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

pholcomb
Forager

December Foraging

Post by pholcomb »

This is my first winter keeping bees. With the temp in the low 70s today bees from both hives were foraging heavily. After 2 hard frosts, I was surprised to see many of them returning to the hive with pollen baskets full of a bright orange/yellow pollen. I live in Greensboro near the Arboreteum. Any thoughts as to what this might be? All of the asters around here have faded.

Should I feed on these warm days? Each hive has 2 mediums full of capped sugar water/ honey. I didn't take any honey this year, and I haven't fed since late Oct. I have plenty of water close by. Both hives appear to be very healthy. I couldn't find a single mite between August and October despite doing 3 three-day counts with the sticky board. Found a fair number of hive beetles though. I didn't treat. My bees are NC-raised Carnis from Larry Tate.

Thanks.

Paul
Wally
Guard bee

Re: December Foraging

Post by Wally »

You should feed according to weight of hive. If heavy, don't feed. If light, do. Also, even tho it is warm now, it won't be when they are trying to condense that sugar water. From now until March, I recommend solid feed.

IE: Fondant, candy board, dry sugar, ETC. Moisture in winter is the bee's worst enemy.
pholcomb
Forager

Post by pholcomb »

Yep, I stopped the syrup in Late Oct. because they were leaving a lot of it due to the cool nights. I topped off the hives with granulated sugar last month. I'm not a good judge of a heavy vs. light hive yet, but those mediums are full of capped sugar water/honey. Hopefully that's heavy enough. Thanks.

Paul
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

That should be plenty. Do an "inside hive" check in mid Feb. if weather allows.