supercedure cells

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

bwelker
Newbee

supercedure cells

Post by bwelker »

I have a new colony from a package installed 4/6/13. I checked at day 4 to insure the queen that came with he package was released & she was. I have been unable to go back into that hive until yesterday & saw several supercedure cells. I also saw larve - relatively small ones. I did not see eggs but could have over looked them. The queen is unmarked so I was unable to find her. Should I let the supercedure progress naturally or buy a new queen?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: supercedure cells

Post by Jacobs »

I'm not sure about what you saw or what you are describing. Did you see larvae in queen cells floating on royal jelly or did you see empty queen cups and larvae in regular cells?
bwelker
Newbee

Post by bwelker »

I saw what looked like normal brood cells. Some capped, some with larve. I think the queen is still present or has been within the last few days based on the larve size.

I also saw what appeared to be several supercedure cells.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Queen cups are empty. Bees make them all the time. Sometimes they use them, some times they don't. Queen cells are queen cups that are being put to use with a larva floating on royal jelly or further along in development. Did you look in the cups when you checked the hive?
bwelker
Newbee

Post by bwelker »

No, I did not. I made a bad assumption & should have looked further. Thanks for the clarification.

If there are larve in royal jelly in the Queen cups, then is it a supercedure cell? What then?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

There's really no need to look. Whatever is, is. They will either keep the queen, or make a new one. The best thing to do now is leave them quiet for 2 weeks, then check again.

NEVER DESTROY QUEEN CELLS
bwelker
Newbee

Post by bwelker »

Thanks for the help!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

A few more words and a few more pictures on this subject. The Wards e mailed this link to me.

http://www.countryrubes.com/images/Natu ... lonies.pdf .
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Good article Rob, thanks
Becky Hampton
Forager

Post by Becky Hampton »

That article was really helpful as I also have supercedure going on in newly installed hive. Thanks for sharing that!