6 or 7 day old swarm cutout

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

mike91553
Guard bee

6 or 7 day old swarm cutout

Post by mike91553 »

I cut the comb from under a mobile home today and put a few pieces with eggs in frames. Caught the queen and left her in a frame in a catcher and left before they all found the box. Plan to bring them home tomorrow night or the next. I did another one similar a week ago and let the queen out when I got home and they absconed that day. I didn't save any of the new comb and eggs on the first one. Its so hard to handle and fragile. Thinking an excluder on the bottom board might keep these in. How do you do these Wally and how long is too long to cage a queen with no brood in the box. Hindsight I should have added frame of open brood or excluder the first time.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: 6 or 7 day old swarm cutout

Post by Wally »

I use one of these when I remember it. In reality, I forget most times and lose some of the swarms, but the average is low. Most that I lose are the ones I leave on site. Th scouts find them and take them away. I seldom lose one if I move it when caught.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/10 ... tinfo/675/

I have forgotten the queen in the clip for over a week and she was fine.