Swarm-5/20/19

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Swarm-5/20/19

Post by Jacobs »

Swarm_52019_IMG_3202.JPG
Swarm_52019_IMG_3202.JPG (54.35 KiB) Viewed 6752 times
These bees heavily scouted on 5/19/19, and there were about 60 that spent the night. I looked in the super on the morning of the 20th, and thought these might just be a queenless abscond. I was in the house when the rest arrived, but saw the end of the arriving bees at about 4:30 pm. I will see if they settle in and then move them into more suitable equipment.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Re: Swarm-5/20/19

Post by DuaneB »

Hi Rob,

Some of your bees, or free bees?

Remember that swarm bait box that we(you)vacuumed the bees off the bottom of? Well, I replaced it with one made from plywood. It smells like wood on the inside, not glue. I noticed bees IN it last Thursday. As of this morning, they are still there. But, I don't see them bringing in any pollen that I can tell. I'm fine with leaving them there longer, just don't want them to start drawing comb on the bottom of the frames and filling them with brood.

Guess I can take them down; pop the top; and have a look. If all is good, I want to move them up to where the others are.

Duane
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Not mine and not acting normally. There are not nearly as many bees as there were yesterday afternoon. The ones remaining are cleaning old comb of wax moth cocoons and webbing. If they don't stay, but finish cleaning the frames, I will be well satisfied.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

A number of bees stayed, but no sign of a queen. I took a frame of eggs, larvae and nurse bees from my Wayne's bee hive and put it in. I'll check in 4 days to see if they are making queen cells. Something to play with.