High temps

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

DuaneB
Guard bee

High temps

Post by DuaneB »

Supposedly, next Wednesday and Thursday are going to be 97 and 96, respectively. Will that mark the end of the 'Honey flow'? How many high temp days does it take to dry up the nectar and mark the beginning of a dearth?

Thanks
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: High temps

Post by Jacobs »

The high temperatures and dry weather may slow the nectar flow or may mark it's end for this Spring. So far, bees have shown very little interest in my "nectarometer" even using 3 oz of honey (and the rest water) in a 1 pint jar. As long as bees are flying out regularly during the day but showing little interest in the nectarometer, I figure there is something out there that is more attractive. When a serious dearth is on, bees will empty a less concentrated mix in less than 2 hours.

Flows can be very local events. What is available in the 1-2 mile range for the bees? Are some of the sources more shaded or in areas with more ground moisture to help the plant continue producing nectar without it being evaporated?
jonl30

Post by jonl30 »

Rob what does your Nectarometer been saying
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

The bees are showing more interest in it, but results may be skewed because I have some old frames out that I am assessing/cleaning up, and the bees are showing definite interest in the residual honey and nectar in those. I have been seeing bees work the white clover in the neighborhood. This is usually a sign that there isn't much else out there in the way of nectar.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Today marks a significant turn--bees showing real interest in the nectaometer and emptying a pint in less than a day for the first time this season. Until today, I would have to spill out spoiled honey water and replace the pint jar after 3-5 days. There would usually be half a jar of honey water that had spoiled. This could well be the beginning of the dearth for my location.
jonl30

Post by jonl30 »

Wife just checked our Nectarometer in Salisbury still no interest from the bees.
billhurd
Newbee

Post by billhurd »

My nectarometer was emptied in 6 hours today at my home near US 29 and Hicone Rd (near Rudd Farm)
billhurd
Newbee

Post by billhurd »

Again today my pint nectarometer emptied between 0745 and 1330. However, at my outyard in Gibsonville, about 1/2 mile south of the McLeansville Wildlife club, another nectarometer placed at 0800 and checked at 1300 was untouched.
billhurd
Newbee

Post by billhurd »

By noon today the nectarometer at Gibsonville was nearly empty. I refilled it about 1400 and will check it again tomorrow.
jonl30

Post by jonl30 »

Here in Salisbury the bees still have not showed any interest in the nectorometer. I have 2 set up within 50 yards for the hives.
jonl30

Post by jonl30 »

Bees started on Sunday to visit the Humming Bird feeders
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Nectar flows can be very local things, but generally by mid-June, bees will be looking for any good "nectar" source, get more defensive, and some will be more prone to attempt robbing of weaker hives. Mine have not been going to the "nectarometer" because I have frames for them to clean up. Until our flow slowed/ended, they had no interest in anything but natural nectar.