Triangle bee escapes

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

reedyfork
Guard bee

Triangle bee escapes

Post by reedyfork »

I think I have become a convert after all this time using fumes boards for getting bees out of my honey supers (with ALL types of sprays, including the vomit-smelling ones). This method almost always included the additional step of having to use my battery powered blower to get the stragglers out.

I tried the triangle bee escapes for the first time this year, and have been pleasantly surprised. As long as your hives are close enough that you don't mind having to make two trips, it has been very successful for me so far. In most cases, I've left them on for 48 hrs and have literally only had less than 5 bees remaining in a super.

Questions for those more experienced with using them:

1. How long do you wait? I read 24-48 hrs, but have seen Bob Binnie and others leave them on for 3, 4, or 5 days. Is it dependent on temperature, strength of the colony, or other factors?
2. How many medium supers can you put over one and expect the bees to clear out? I've only tried them with 1 super at a time so far, but am now experimenting with 2 and 3 supers stacked over the escape.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Triangle bee escapes

Post by Wally »

They work fine until the SHB find them. Then BYE BYE honey.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Triangle bee escapes

Post by reedyfork »

I took Wally's comment about SHBs to heart. Here's what I did and observed with my triangle bee escapes:

1. I experimented with 1, 2, and 3 medium supers above the escape.
2. I used painter's tape and wrapped all seams between the supers. Inner cover came off, and my lids rested directly on top of the super. This was done to keep robber bees out, and at least minimize the number of SHBs entering.
3. All supers were pulled after 48 hrs. I have always removed my supers in "stages" so I can immediately put them in my freezers (they can hold up to 15 mediums). I did the same this time, primarily to kill any pests.

From what I've read, it seems like the cooler the nights, the more likely the bees are to move down and through the escape. Obviously, we have not had cool nights in a while! No matter whether I had 1, 2, or 3 supers, I'd guess I had maybe 10 or so bees left in each super. I brought my battery-powered blower and easily blew out the stragglers.

Although there were definitely adult SHBs up in the supers, it appeared that the majority of the bees that stayed behind were there to keep them corralled. The greatest number of bees and SHBs were up on the very top bars together.

I would definitely NOT wait longer than 48 hrs since any existing SHB eggs could hatch out and the larvae start doing damage. And I might think about using my fume boards again if I know it's going to be hot and sunny (with warm nights).