Main Nectar flow

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ski
Guard bee

Main Nectar flow

Post by ski »

When does the main nectar flow start around Greensboro, burlington? Is it possible to predict a possible start (+ or minus a week) at this time since the weather looks like it is is starting to settle down?

Is there a historical time that it has started. I knew I should have joined the state bee Keepers association. That calendar might come in handy now.

Thanks for any guesses or predictions :)

Ski
JClately
Newbee

Post by JClately »

The main flow around here starts approximately April 15. Occasionally you can catch some early nectar from things like blackberry and clover.
Most people don't worry about the flow until May 1 when the Poplars are in bloom.
I would rather be safe and have my supers on a little early. Who knows, you might make some early honey?!

JC
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Thanks JClately

Good information. I see all the stuff blooming (bradford pears, some flowers) and I get to wondering.

Thanks,

ski
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

I talked to Mr. Norris "The Beeman" and told me around the 20th of April. It runs till the end of May...I think. I already have my supers on, by the way. 8)
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Take notice of the title. It says MAIN flow.
The info above answers that well, BUT there is are also a few MINOR flows that should be taken advantage of during the year. One of which is on now.