Extractor

Maybe you are looking for something specific or maybe you just have some beekeeping supplies you no longer need. Post it here and see what happens.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Locust&Honey

Extractor

Post by Locust&Honey »

I was just wondering if the GCBA had an extractor for rent or if they had one they would loan out for use. It seems that several other Beekeeping clubs offer this service to the members. Any word on that Kurt?
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

We have in the past owned extracting equipment.
It all comes down to logistics.
Who is going to keep it?
What happens if it comes back damaged?
How do you get it from one person to the next?
And so on goes the list of community property sharing problems.
Sorry to sound so pathetic. :cry:

We currently do not have any club equipment available, however if you need a 2 frame I can loan you mine.

Kurt
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

L&H

I was wondering about an extractor as well until I saw the crush and strain method. I will have very little if any honey this year so I am leaning in that direction.
There is a very good explaniation with pitures that "tillie" put on BEEMASTERS forum under the thread "cleaning crush and strain super frames for storage". You may want to give it a look.
She also mentioned how much work it is to clean an extractor.

Didn't Mr. Bennet advertise that he would extract honey for free but he kept the cappings?
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

I have purchased a "crush method two-bucket" system from Brushy Mountain. I also expect very little honey. I was thinking down the road. I will re-evaluate after I try this method. My uncle has 12 hives and uses this method. He says it works very well and encouraged me to use. Said it was very simple. Thanks for the reply guys.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

James Bennett and family said they would extract and keep cappings for $5 (last years price)
I cant imagine extracting 12 supers with crush and strain. I must be way too lazy! We are talking around 600 lbs of honey!
5 and under maybe!

Kurt
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

What does keep cappings mean?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

When you cut the caps off the frame of honey and extract what is left in the frame, you get the honey from the extracter and he keeps the wax and honey from the cut off cappings.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

It seems as if my little 2 frame extractor has been compromised. It is intended for the little guy that has a few hives but seems as if it may have been gobbled up to do a larger job.
If beekeeping is a serious undertaking then one might believe that one should buy an extractor after a certain amount of hives. I think over 5 justifies the expense of a small extractor.
Anyway... does anyone have another small extractor that we can let the new people use to remove honey with?

Kurt
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Well apparently everyone that needed my extractor got tired of waiting and went out and bought one.
My 2 frame extractor is now available if anyone needs it. I have it today with me at work or can bring it to the Farmers market Saturday if it helps with the pickup.

Kurt