Field Day and afterward

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally

Field Day and afterward

Post by Wally »

Like Kurt says, Where is everyone? I thought I would see many postings after saturday. I throughly enjoyed the day and talking to all the people present.
Afterward, I went into my strongest hive and found a number of frames with queen cells. I removed six frames into two nuke boxes, then moved the mother hive about half a mile. The returning foragers then split between the two nukes. Then Sunday, a friend had two swarms in his yard, which he gave me one. To top it off, I caught a swarm in my yard Monday. Where I had two hives Saturday morning, by Monday night I had six.

PS. I'm going to let Richard tell about the swarm in High Point.
How about it, Richard?

Wally
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Wow! Talk about a population explosion!
I guess you will have your hands full for a little while.

Sure hope Richard posts so I can hear about the High Point story!

Kurt
Richard

First Swarm

Post by Richard »

Kirt called me and asked if i could recover a swarm.
I did't have an extra box and had'nt done this before.
I called Wally Swaim ((whom I had meat at the field day).
He said he had an extra box and would help me.
When we arived at the ladies home in High Point, we found bees in the basement but no queen cluster.
We came back home, the lady called again.
Wally and I went back up to High Point.
"The bees were all over the wall when I turned the air condition on "the lady said.
We looked in a little room in back side of her garage and found the queen under the bottom shelf, which had been blocked with boxes of dishes.
Wally placed the box under the swarm and raked the bees down into the box with a piece of cardboard.
I went back that day at dust and put the bees in my van and drove home very carfully.

"There seems to be an unwritten law with bee keepers that they readily help each other "I said to Wally.

"Remember that when I call on you Wally said".

Richard Lightfoot
JClately
Newbee

Post by JClately »

Wow! Sounds like a profitable trip or at least we shall see.
Most beekeepers are very helpful and most seem to be very talkative.
We do what we can when we can!

Congrats Richard!