Fall drought and Derth in Nectar

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

Fall drought and Derth in Nectar

Post by Ron Young »

I have a question. Is the fall drought and resulting derth in nectar going to cause the queen to stop laying, resulting in old bees going into winter? If so, should the bees be fed some pollen and 1:1 sugar to allow for younger bees to be in the hive for winter?

Just me thinking and wondering?
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Ron,
I think you are 100 % correct. Not only do we want young bees but fat bees. The bees that feed the bees that go into winter should be healthy and fat as well as the winter bees.

I am seeing very little pollen being brought in, there is little to no stores in the hive either from robbing or dearth. FEED FEED FEED 1:1, 2:1 pollen patties what ever it takes. I have added robbing screens on both hives and am feeding what ever they will take. 1:1 syrup for now and some pollen sub and honey patties. They do not seem interested in the loose pollen sub that I have out. If Wally still has pollen patties I am going to buy a few. The way things are now in the 2 hives that I am caring for is that they will never make it through winter.

We have had half an inch of rain here in the last month so until it rains and something blooms I think I have a problem.... this is all my opinion and as a newbee I may be all wet and sticky from sugar syrup.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Ski...One question on the robbing. Are you still going in your deeps?? If you do with the weather we are having it will more than likely set off robbing. I have experienced this 1st hand. I have stayed out of them and I have no "visible" and/or MAJOR robbing. Of course they are always going to send out a couple everyday but I don't consider that robbing. 8)
TJ
Forager

Dearth

Post by TJ »

Hi, Just wanted to let everyone know I was surprised to see no new bees in my hives. They both have empty brood cells and the queen has completely stopped laying. I have 10 frames of honey still on the hive (10 x 7lbs - 70lbs) which I presume is enough, but am worried about lack of new bees. I'm going to start feeding pollen and nectar as well. Hopefully, she'll start laying again before winter.

I also have SHB, alot on top of hive (where honey is) and some on bottom empty brood frames. I've installed SHB black traps with the borax powder in middle to trap beetles, 1 in deep, 2 in top. Also installed two frames (same 2 boxes) with the Hood Small Beetle Trap and apple cider lure. I'm hoping they'll drown in the oil, we'll see. I think if the hive was stronger they wouldn't be an issue, but I was glad to see no wax moth damage or SHB larvae eating the honey.

I, too, have a question about that (I have 8 frame equipment). Should I be taking the honey (in 3rd box up now) and move it into the 2nd box up (above deep) and just leave these two for wintering? Or do I just leave the configuration now (1 deep, 1 medium full of empty brood frames drawn out, 1 medium of honey, 1 medium super of 2 frames honey and empty frames) and just let them fill the bottom brood frames with brood and honey/pollen stores to eat off of? I wasn't sure if I should be compacting my hive down to two boxes now, from four, I'm thinking the honey needs to be lower so they don't starve.

Thanks for the help! TJ

P.S. Does anyone recommend an entrance reducer to reduce robbing? I feed from a top feeder so feeding takes place within the hive, and there are no other entrances other than at the front of the deep, completely open at this time.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Once again...baffled. All my hives are still having new foragers with orientation flights almost 2 times a day everyday. Hummmmm...... :?
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

Thanks L&H. I don't know when the heck she stopped.
P.S. On the entrance reducer I meant to PREVENT robbing. Thanks
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

This is what I see every morning....

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183 ... 0_0980.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183 ... 0_0979.jpg

Look closely and you will see bees entering the hive and flying in with sacs of pollen. :D

I have a video I will be posting as soon as I have time to upload.
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

I can see the pollen. I'll report back and let you know how mine are doing after a few days. Let's hope they like the pollen patties I have for them. Crossing my fingers that weather system in the Atlantic hits us with some good rain. TJ
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

L&H

No I don't go into the deeps often at all. I usually see capped brood and larva in the medium above the deep and that is only every 3 weeks or so.

The robbing I have was set off by putting 1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier) 7 drops spearmint oil and 7 drops lemongrass oil in the 1:1 sugar syrup as a healthier mixture.
Its was also an invitation for all the bees in the area to come by and party.

The robber screens seemed to have helped and I discontinued the oils in the syrup.

I am seeing more pollen coming in now then I did a week or so back and rain is forecast for sometime in the next several days so maybe things are looking up.

I have slao been seeing orientation flights just before dark.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Sounds great. When I was trying to go in my hives to be nosey is when I set off robbing. That seems to be one of the main things once the flow is over. If you cut the comb or tear it on accident and the smell of the honey gets going it is over. They are going to "party". Suprise that is... :D
Ron Young
Guard bee

This is what I have in both my hives now.

Post by Ron Young »

Here is what I have in both of my hives now. What is the opinion about these hives being good or needing sugar syrup?

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l98/N ... or%20Fall/
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Not being an experienced beek yet I would say that you look a little shallow on the pollen. My frames of pollen are so full it looks like capped over honey but it's pollen color. They have frames of pollen too. Maybe this isn't the major goal but there are ways to feed in place of honey. I have full medium supers that I left for them so I feel comfortable with the honey situation plus I can feed. These are my thoughts....I will be interested what the pros say... :D