What to do? crisis

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

What to do? crisis

Post by p51d »

Hello,

I have moved from one hive to four established hives. Three of these are swarms which the neighbors say are mine. I have plenty of room in the hives and maybe this is so. I am trying everything from the meetings and what I have read to keep from swarming.

My problem is now the neigbors are upset with the swarms, two of them, since they have dogs and one was stung from the swarms. Being a good neighbor I have a couple of options:

(1) move somewhere else on my 1.5 acres. They are in the back and I could move them to another area, it does not face the south..
(2) I don't know any farmers in Pleasant Garden which might allow the hives except one and I plan on moving a hive to a farm. I might have a place south of Asheboro but that is a long ways off to keep bees...
(3) the neighbors could spray them with pesticide when they swarm.
(4) destroy them.

The neighbor was very upset and while I don't think there is any ordinance forbidding bees she stated neighbors with bees are their worst nightmare because of the bees and swarms. (according to the internet)

Suggestions would be appreciated. If I move them 75 foot to a less than desirable area would this work?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

This would be much too complicated for me to type on the forum. If you want a few suggestions, call me at 302-2708
Wally
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

I quickly talked with my wife , another neighbor, and built a new area 75 foot away. Moved three of my five hives and will move the others after I get a suit. They were not so happy and I now have five or six stings so I think I will invest in a suit.

I cannot believe 3 swarms were from two hives. First, there is plenty of room in both, they were not overcrowded, and after grabbing two swarms of about 5-6 lbs each, the hives look like the same in population. The other swarm is small and refuses to stay in a hive.

Anyway, I am trying to be a good neighbor and her remark from the internet "neighbors with bees are your worse nightmare" really hit home. I never would have thought that even though her dogs run all over the neigborhood.

I might call you in a couple of nights Wally. Thanks for your response.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

You may want to inform your neighbors that under North Carolina law it is illegal to kill beneficial insects.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks but I don't think we will be on speaking terms anymore. I was really disgusted by the "neighbors with bees are your worst nightmare comment". Yet her dogs continually get out of the fence and roam the neighborhood.

It could have been handled a bit better.
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

Since they are already ticked off at you I would call the county animal control office everytime her dogs are out.
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

By the way, there is an ordinance in Guilford County concerning dogs running loose, while there is no ordinance concerning bees.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks John for the information. I did not start this and have always tried to be a good neighbor. Being a good neighbor I have started moving the hives away from that side and will downsize from 5 to 2 hives.

The neighbor really got to me and it could have been handled much better but because of her attitude. All she had to do was be a bit more civil. I still have not found on the internet where "beekeepers are the worst neighbors". My yard is clean, well maintained as is my former bee yard.
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

The 75 feet is not really going to make any difference. She is still going to see bees on her property: flowers, hummingbird feeders, flowering bushes, etc. So, if anything, maybe you have made her feel good. I would never remove any hives entirely. She now knows she can manipulate you with little effort on her part and eventually will demand that you remove all hives.
Keep in mind, this is only my opinion.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks for everyone's input to my crisis. As a good neighbor I was thinking of giving up my hives. After researching plus the good advice I decided to move the hives away from the neighbors property, told them so, and explained I am breaking no laws as politely as possible.

I doubt we will be on speaking terms but so be it.

The advice is much appreciated.
bdloving
Forager

Bribe her!

Post by bdloving »

for what its worth, i have found a gift of a quart of honey has never harmed a relationship with a neighbor. But that might be throwing good honey after bad .
:lol:
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

I would like to think this would work and thank you for the suggestion. If I was to do this I have a feeling the jar of honey would be thrown at me.

Checked my hives, there were no swarm cells and there is plenty of room. The busy hive I had split a month before the issue.

Thanks for the tip.