Swarm Today

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

Swarm Today

Post by Ron Young »

I got a call from a lady and her husband that we used to go to church with, and they had a swarm in their yard. I told them that I did not have a hive to put them in, but that I would come and get them. I went over to find a small soccer ball size swarm, knee high in an azalia bush. I shook them into a bucket, and covered it with screen.

I called Mr. Bennett, and he came over from Summerfield to get them. This swarm was in Northern Guilford County out past Lake Townsend. Pretty neat, and I am glad that they found a home.

What are the swarm calls like for others?
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

I got a swarm call from Belew's (sp) Lake area. 3 to 4 lbs. Very docile. They settled on a Japanese Cherry tree. 2 feet off the ground. Shook into full hive body and will return tonight to transport to the Southern Guilford County area. Too easy!
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

This year has been unusaually quiet for me. Sine I get most of the calls that come through the Ag center, I consider it almost concerning that I have had no more than 5 calls all year.
Ron Young
Guard bee

What do you attribute it too

Post by Ron Young »

What do attribute it too? Are more people keeping bees, thus leading to more individuals being called by someone that they know? Less swarms? Any ideas?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I did a fresh removal in Ramseur today. Only been there a day or two. Then I drove to Thomasville and picked up a swarm. They are still moving.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Ron:

I believe that the population has become more informed and perhaps know someone who knows a beekeeper and thus bypasses the Ag center altogether. With the internet availabilty I am also seeing more and more people "searching" before they call the old standby.